University Break Housing

During break periods when the residence halls and university are closed (Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break), students typically leave campus. However, we understand that occasionally students may have a need to stay on campus in their assigned building and room.  Students who have a need to be on campus can request to do so. Students who are part of a University-approved activity, group or team should be submitted as part of a Group Housing Request by the group or team's coach or faculty/staff adviser. Group Housing Requests are submitted through MyCard

View the calendar for break periods.

Students who are not part of a group may request to stay on campus during a break period by logging into MyCard and clicking on the Break Housing section any time before the break period begins. Students submitting these individual requests should include specific details explaining the need to be on campus during the time residence halls are closed. The nightly charge is determined based on the student's tuition promise cohort (see chart below), and is added to their Bursar bill. The nightly charge is waived for students approved to stay Friday night of finals (December and May) and also the Friday at the start of Spring break, according to communicated guidelines and procedures. When a student registers for break housing, access is assigned to their ID card.

Without a specific need to be on campus, students are not permitted to return to campus.  Students who have travel reasons to arrive early may login to MyCard to sign-up to return one day prior to the official hall opening date.  Students who plan to return earlier than one day before hall opening should make arrangements to stay off-campus with a friend or make hotel reservations

There will be limited meal service provided during break periods and the University will be closed most of the time. Armstrong Student Center will have limited hours during breaks. King Library usually has some limited hours during the breaks. Visit the Armstrong Student Center and library website for more details.

Break Housing Daily Rates
Tuition Promise Cohort Daily Rate
2016-2017 $37.00
2017-2018 $37.00
2018-2019 $38.00
2019-2020 $39.00
Non-Cohort $39.00

Heritage Commons Residents

Residents of Heritage Commons will not incur additional charges for any break or Winter Term periods, as their contract covers the entire academic year. However, Heritage Commons residents must still complete the online request form so that their card access will continue to work. We ask that residents submit a request using MyCard.

Urgent Safety Concerns During University Breaks

Residents staying on campus during the breaks who need urgent/safety assistance should call either the Miami University Police at 513-529-2222 or the Residence Life staff member on duty at 513-330-2005.

Winter Term Housing

Residence halls will be open and on-campus housing is optional during the Winter Term. Students taking Winter Term courses who wish to live on campus during this period must have a current year Housing & Meal Plan Contract on file in order to reside on campus during any part of the Winter Break or Winter Term periods.

Resident students who are registered for at least 1 credit hour on the Oxford Campus during Winter Term, and already have a Residence Hall & Meal Plan Contract for the academic year, will receive a discounted housing rate if they choose to stay on campus during the Winter Term. These students must  sign up for housing through MyCard so that card access can be programmed properly. Learn more about Winter Term here.

Resident students who are not taking Winter Term classes, but do have a Residence Hall and Meal Plan Contract for the academic year and wish to return to campus early for the spring semester may do so beginning January 25, 2020 and pay the nightly rate based upon their academic year housing rate. These students must still request through MyCard so that card access can be programmed properly.

Residents of Heritage Commons will not incur additional charges for any break or Winter Term periods, as their contract covers the entire year. However, they must submit an online request (via MyCard) so that their door access will continue to function properly.

Students who have a need to stay on campus during the Winter Term period (without taking any on-campus class) must follow the Break Housing procedures outlined on this website by providing documentation of the specific need.