Teaching, Curriculum, and Educational Inquiry (TCE) Major Advising FAQ

Following are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions related to advising for teacher education majors. Please be aware that the responses are not a substitute for advising. You should contact an academic advisor for advice on your particular situation.

Who is my academic advisor?

To find your faculty advisor's name and contact information:

  1. Log in to myMiami.
  2. Click your Student tab located near the top of the screen.
  3. Your advisor will be listed in the top, right corner.

How do I schedule an appointment with my academic advisor?

Each advisor schedules appointments in their own way. You should email your assigned academic advisor to ask how they prefer to schedule advising appointments. You can find contact information for TCE advisors on the Department of Teaching, Curriculum, and Educational Inquiry Faculty & Staff webpage.

How do I change or add my major/minor/thematic sequence?

To change or add a new major/minor/thematic sequence, contact the department which houses your new major/minor/thematic sequence. For example, if you want to change your major from Primary Education to Psychology, you should contact the Psychology department.

If you want to change your major or concentration within the Teaching, Curriculum, and Educational Inquiry Department, contact the Coordinator of Advising, Cathy Moore at moorecr3@miamioh.edu.

How do I drop a course?

You can drop a course via Banner Web through the third day of classes. After that point, you must email your instructor directly to be dropped from any course. Make sure you see the Academic Calendar for important dates/deadlines related to dropping courses.

NOTE: If you stop attending a class, it is not the same as dropping it. You must take action to drop the course. Before dropping a course, we recommend that you consult the instructor and your academic advisor to discuss the implications.

How can I force add into a closed course?

All Teaching, Curriculum, and Educational Inquiry (TCE/EDT) courses are part of the Registration Override Request (ROR) system. Force add requests for these courses can now be submitted directly from the course list. You can access ROR by logging into the online Course List and submit requests for course adds provided you have no registration holds and it is your time to register according to your registration time ticket. The TCE Coordinator of Advising will review the requests and you will get an email if your request is approved or denied. If you have any questions about the ROR process/system, please visit the Registration Override Request website.

The deadline for department/instructor authorized adds (force adds) will be as follows and will be strictly enforced:  

  • For full semester/term courses, including independent work, the add deadline is the fifth day of the semester/term (including weekends/holidays). 
  • For sprint courses, including independent work, the add deadline is the second day of the sprint part of term (including weekends/holidays).

How can I find my DAR?

To access your degree audit, follow these steps:

  1. Go to myMiami and log in using your Unique ID and MUnet password
  2. Once you have logged in you will see a link on the left top side of the page for BannerWeb. Click on the link to enter BannerWeb
  3. Select “Student Services and Financial Aid"
  4. Select "Student Records"
  5. Select “Degree Audit”
  6. Click the "uAchieve" self-service link
  7. Click "Run Declared Programs"
  8. Select “View Audit”
  9. Click on your major. If you have more than one major you will have a degree audit for each.

You may also request a degree audit at the One Stop located in the Campus Avenue Building (CAB); a picture I.D. is required.

What is credit/no credit?

If you take a course as credit/no-credit, a grade is not posted to your transcript as long as you earn a final grade of D- or better. Credit will show as an "X" on your transcript; no-credit will show as a "Y". Neither has an effect on your GPA.

Courses in your major, major related hours, or minor cannot be taken as credit/no-credit.

How can I find out if courses I take from another school will transfer to Miami?

Visit Transferology to determine whether there are courses equivalent to Miami's courses. This will help you predict how the courses will apply to your requirements. If the school is not listed on Transferology, or if you are unsure of the equivalency, consult your divisional academic advisor.

How can I register for more than 20 hours?

You need to get permission for excess academic hours from the Coordinator of Advising in the Department of Teaching, Curriculum, and Educational Inquiry (Cathy Moore, moorecr3@miamioh.edu). Email your request with justification and it will be considered for approval. There are specific criteria under which a student would qualify for excess hour permission. Please be aware that excess hour permission is not always granted.

How many credit hours do I need to be considered a full-time student?

You are considered a full-time student with 12 credit hours at the undergraduate level. Keep in mind that dropping below 12 hours can have serious impacts on things like housing, financial aid, athletic eligibility, Visa status, etc. You are strongly encouraged to talk with your academic advisor before dropping below 12 hours.

How do I get a copy of my transcript?

Official copies of your transcript are generated by the One Stop office. You can print an unofficial transcripts through Banner Web.

What should I do if I want to study abroad?

Your first step should be to contact the Office of Global Initiatives. There are many different options for study abroad so you need to investigate what opportunity works best for you. For education-related experiences, you can also contact the EHS Success Center at EHSSuccess@MiamiOH.edu. Once you have identified the experience that you wish to explore, schedule a meeting with your academic advisor to talk about how that fits into your plan of study.

How do I submit a petition?

Please complete the Undergraduate Student Petition form. Make sure that you provide as much information as possible to explain your situation and support your request. Once your petition form has been submitted it will be routed through the approval process which may include instructors, program coordinators, academic advisors, and/or the TCE/EDT Petitions Committee. Once a decision has been reached about your petition you will receive an email notifying you of the results and (if applicable) next steps.

What Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) tests must I take prior to graduation from Miami?

You must take the content assessment(s) related to your program and concentration area prior to student teaching. You do not have to pass the OAE at this time, but you must take that test. If you do not earn a passing score, however, you will have to repeat the test for licensure. You do not have to take the Foundations of Reading or Pedagogy assessments until you are ready to apply for licensure. You can find out exactly which tests you need to take by visiting the OAE website.

When test taking, be sure that you indicate that your test results are to be shared with Miami University and the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). It is important to maintain the original email AND the attached OAE results with your important documents.

How do I apply for my teaching license?

For Ohio educator licensure and endorsements, it is the applicant's responsibility to be sure that they meet all requirements before applying. Failure to do so, may result in a processing delay.

ODE licensure and endorsement requirements and application information can be found on the Ohio Department of Education website. If you have additional questions, you may contact them at: educator.license@education.ohio.gov or 877-644-6338 (toll-free).