Faculty FAQs

What do I do if I’m locked out of my classroom or if I need to get in touch with someone after business hours?

Call Security on your campus. Security is on duty around the clock at both campuses.


513-785-3222 (5-3222 from any campus phone). The office is located in 110 Mosler Hall.


513-727-3333 (7-3333 from any campus phone). The office is located in 26 Johnston Hall (lower level across from the mail room).

What do I do if I need audio-visual equipment?

Most classrooms on the regional campuses are mediated and will already contain the audio-visual equipment you might need. If you need assistance, please contact the Technology Services Help Desk.


How can I make photocopies?


Faculty will find photocopying machines in both Mosler 532 and Rentschler 217. Faculty may also submit a request for copies to Pat Comacho in Mosler 532; advance notice of three days is preferred. CMR, CIT, ICS, JCS, NSG, and ENT faculty have designated faculty support staff; please see your department chair for more information.


Faculty members will find photocopying machines available for use at the following locations.
Thesken Hall 216—Faculty Lounge
Levey Hall 111—Faculty Area
Johnston Hall 205—Faculty Support Office
Johnston Hall 024—Copy Room

Faculty support services can also make classroom copies; advance notice of three days is preferred. You can fill out a form to request the work in the faculty support services offices.

How do I use the on-campus phones?

Each office has a telephone with its own number. To make calls within the University using a campus phone, preface the four-digit extension with a 5 for Hamilton, 7 for Middletown, and 9 for Oxford. For instance, from a phone on campus you can reach the main switchboard at MUM by dialing 7-3200; for MUH the main switchboard is 5-3200. From off-campus, the numbers are 513-727-3200 and 513-785-3200, respectively. From a campus phone, dial 88 to get an outside local line and 81 for long distance.

On both campuses, campus phones that will allow you to call anywhere on campus or make emergency 911 calls are available in every building. 

What should I do if I have to cancel class?

If you must cancel class due to illness or unavoidable circumstances, please do not rely solely on emails to students or course web site announcements. If you know ahead of time that you have to cancel class, contact your chair or coordinator because often another faculty member can step in for you. If you have to cancel class at the last minute, you must contact the relevant faculty support staff as well as notify your chair or coordinator. Faculty support staff will make sure that cancellation notices are properly displayed outside of your scheduled room.


All Hamilton faculty members should contact Connie Webb at 513-785-3207 or webbcm2@MiamiOH.edu.


Middletown faculty members should contact the faculty support staff in their building.

Johnston Hall | Tyra Day: 513-727-3234 or dayth@MiamiOH.edu.
Levey Hall | Tammy Lewis: 513-727-3380 or lewistg@MiamiOH.edu.
Thesken Hall | Judy Adams: adamsj8@MiamiOH.edu.

What do I do if the weather is so bad I think classes might be canceled?

It is Miami's policy to hold classes as scheduled, except during emergency situations. In the event of severe weather, the University Provost, in consultation with appropriate personnel on each campus, decides whether classes will be held or canceled. If classes are to be canceled, a decision will be made by 6:00 a.m. for daytime classes and 3:00 p.m. for evening classes. There are several ways to stay informed:

First, check the Regionals website (MiamiOH.edu/Regionals).

Second, make sure you are signed up for the Miami Emergency Text Messaging System for notifications about campus closings. You must register your cell phone to receive an emergency text alert. Please go to MiamiOH.edu/police, click on the Emergency Text Message icon and follow the instructions. If the campus is closed, a text message will be sent to your phone.

You may also call the weather phone line (Hamilton: 513-785-3077; Middletown: 513-727-3477). During emergency situations only we will post class cancellation details.

Learn more about emergency closing procedures.

What do I do if I suspect a student of academic dishonesty?

Miami’s Student Handbook has specific prohibitions against academic dishonesty, and we have a clearly outlined process for faculty to follow. Please do not attempt to resolve the situation on your own. If you discover or strongly suspect that a student has cheated on any assignment, the first thing you should do is file a report about the incident with your chair or coordinator. The Faculty Resources section of Miami’s Academic Integrity website will provide you with an Alleged Incident Report template.

Once you have filed that report with your chair or coordinator, the chair or coordinator will take over the process and will explain what will happen next.

For tools and resources to help prevent academic dishonesty before it occurs, view the Faculty section of Academic Integrity.

What do I do if I have a student who is disruptive in class?

It is important to address the disruptive behavior when it occurs, document the incident, and keep a log in case it continues.

For significant disruptive behavior that may be threatening, remove oneself and students from the situation and contact the police by calling 911. Also, report the incident as soon as possible to Pete Haverkos, Regional Senior Associate Dean of Students at 513-330-0815 and via email at haverkpj@MiamiOH.edu. You should also report the incident to Campus Security (Hamilton: 513-785-3222; Middletown: 513.727.3333; Voice of America Learning Center: 513-895-8862). All incidences of significant disruptive behavior will be investigated as possible code violations.

The Office of Ethics and Student Conflict Resolution has suggestions for identifying and dealing with disruptive classroom behavior. Patterns of minimally disruptive behavior should be reported to your Chair and they may also be reported to Dr. Haverkos as possible code violations.

Do not hesitate to consult with your Chair if you have any questions about dealing with student behavior in class, after class, or during student conferences.

What do I do if there is a medical emergency in class?

If possible, remain with the victim while you send someone to call 911 and report the victim’s location and symptoms. In case of an accident, do not move a seriously injured person unless the victim is in a life-threatening situation.

There are first-aid kits in the campus security offices:


110 Mosler


26 Johnston Hall

Defibrillators are located in every academic building on both campuses. For additional information, see the Emergency Procedures Handbook.

Where can I direct a student who needs serious academic assistance?

The regional campuses offer learning assistance free of charge to all Miami Regionals students. Students can schedule appointments via Navigate for one-on-one course tutoring, writing tutoring in any class, mentoring, technical help with canvas, and library research consultation. Appointments are offered virtually and face to face with some evening and weekend hours available. Students can also complete an online form to join or form a study group or can submit an essay to be reviewed asynchronously by one of our writing tutors. Mentoring provides individualized consultations about time management, study skills and test-taking strategies. An ELL specialist and ELL specific tutors are available to provide support for non-native speakers. With the assistance of faculty, this office initiates academic interventions for students who are experiencing academic difficulties or who are lacking in one or more skills critical to student success. Call 513-785-3139 or email regtlc@MiamiOH.edu to make a referral.

Where can I direct a student who needs personal counseling?

The University provides cost-free and confidential counseling services to current students. If you notice students exhibiting behavior that may warrant counseling, please contact this office. If you are concerned about the well-being or health of a student, do not hesitate to call the counselor on your campus.


Claire Ruberg


Nancy Ferguson Robinson 

Where can I direct a student with a disability?

Students with disabilities should be referred to the Office of Disability Services. The Disability Services coordinators will work with the student to make a determination about appropriate accommodations based upon the student’s history and medical documentation. When a student has completed the process of registering with the Office of Disability Services faculty will receive an official Letter of Accommodation. This letter provides a list of accommodations that the student has requested and is entitled to in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and related civil rights laws. Faculty members may also identify additional accommodations that would be beneficial to students. Please contact the Office of Disability Services on your campus if you have any questions about appropriate accommodations in your course.


Karen Yates



What should I include in my course syllabus?

The Statement of Good Teaching Practices is found in Section 5.4 of the Miami University Policy and Information Manual (MUPIM).

This document identifies the minimum information that faculty should give to students and the expected behaviors in a course. In addition, every Miami Plan course has an official syllabus indicating the information to be covered.

Your syllabus should include:

  • the course name
  • where/when it meets
  • faculty office hours and office location
  • email address (please make sure you check your Miami email regularly and respond promptly to student emails)
  • required texts
  • attendance and other course policies
  • grading policy

Some faculty members also include statements about:

  • honoring diversity
  • accommodating disabilities
  • expectations for classroom conduct

In addition, if the course is a Miami Plan Foundation or Thematic Sequence course, you must include the Miami Plan goals and a brief explanation of how these goals are supported by your course.

A syllabus is regarded as a virtual contract between the faculty member and the students. Please do not change the basic rules and requirements of the course once they are communicated in the syllabus. Your syllabus may specify a schedule of topics, test dates, etc., as tentative, but everything else should be “set in stone” once it appears in the syllabus. Even if your syllabus is available on Niihka or Canvas, please distribute a hard copy to each student in the class at the first class meeting.

What is Miami University’s attendance policy?

Every student is expected to attend every class session for which the student is duly registered. It is the prerogative of the individual faculty member to set attendance policy for each individual course, and it is the responsibility of the individual faculty member to inform students of that policy in the course syllabus or other written document at the first class meeting of the semester, term, or sprint part of semester or term. Whenever a student is absent from class to such an extent as to make the student’s work inefficient or to impair the morale of the class, the instructor may direct the Office of the University Registrar to drop the student. During the first 20 percent of the course no grade will be recorded; after the first 20 percent is completed but before 60 percent of the course is completed, a grade of W will be recorded. After 60 percent of the course is completed, a grade of F will be recorded. The instructor shall notify the student of this action no later than the time he or she notifies the Office of the University Registrar. (See academic calendar.)

See section 1.9.A in the Student Handbook for the entire attendance policy.

How many office hours should I hold?

All faculty members should hold at least 1-2 hours of office hours per week for each course. You should notify your students of your office hour(s), include the time in the syllabus, and be available for them at the specified time and place.

Are student evaluations required in every class?

All courses are evaluated using an online evaluation system, What Do You Think. You will receive an email notifying you that you can add questions to the standard evaluation form used. Course evaluation nformation for instructors is available on the Provost's site. Please see your Chair or Coordinator for more information about evaluations.

Miami University also encourages faculty to evaluate their teaching effectiveness through additional means, if possible. Other ways you can evaluate your course include peer observation (please see your Chair or Coordinator for assistance) and Small-Group Instructional Diagnoses.

Do I have to give a final exam?

A final exam should be given in each course, unless your Chair or Coordinator directs you otherwise. This exam must be given at the specified day and time during exam week. We also encourage faculty to give comprehensive final exams.

An instructor should not change the scheduled day and time of an exam. If you have a compelling reason for requesting a change, you must obtain permission from your Chair or Coordinator and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

NOTE: It is University policy that no tests or major quizzes can be given during the last week of classes. Also, it is absolutely forbidden to give your final exam prior to exam week. Please ask your Coordinator or Chair if you have any questions about this.

What if there is a student on my roster who doesn’t show up for class the first week of the semester?

  • Students are allowed to drop and add classes during the first two days without a signature, so you may have students appearing in your class after the first class period if the class was not full.
  • All class rosters are available on-line through myMiami (log in in with usual username and password). If you have trouble accessing your class list via myMiami, please contact your Chair or Coordinator or Records and Registration for assistance. To drop students from your online roster, click on the red arrow next to the student’s name; you will then be prompted to provide the date the student last attended (if they ever attended). 
  • If a student does not show up by the end of the first week, it is important that you drop them from the roster at the end of the week.  Do not wait until the second week. If the student returns, you can always add him or her back to the roster at your discretion.
  • If your class is full, you should contact your Chair or Coordinator to find out if it is appropriate to “force add” students to your class. The term “force add” is not accurate—you are not “forced” to admit a student to a full class unless you wish to do so and the Chair or Coordinator approves. Students hear this term and think they can always get in a class, but it is the instructor’s decision. If your class enrollment is going to exceed the published limit because of force adds, please let the bookstore know so additional books can be ordered. (Bookstore websites: Miami Hamilton | Miami Middletown)
  • If your class is not full, it is your decision on whether to add this student. Many students never catch up when they enter a class late, so it is a good idea to avoid adding students after the first week if possible.

How can I request travel funds to present at a conference?


Miami employees use Chrome River to assist in tracking and paying for travel-related expenses. All expenses that were paid for with a P-Card, cash advance, or out of pocket are recorded and reconciled in Chrome River. Learn more about requesting travel funds.

When are key campus offices open?

Faculty support services


The Faculty Secretary’s Office in 532 Mosler is staffed from 8 am to 7:30 pm Monday through Thursday, and from 8 am to 5 pm on Friday. Faculty support services are also available in 217 REN.


The Faculty Support Office in 205 Johnston Hall is staffed from 8 am to 7:00 pm Monday through Thursday, and from 8 am to 4 pm on Friday.

Technology Services help desks

Hours During Semesters: 8am-9pm Monday-Thursday and 8am-5pm Friday
Hours During Summer and Breaks: 8am-5pm Monday-Friday 

Where do I go if I have a question about dates for registration, classes, etc.?

Visit the One Stop to check University-wide dates.