College Credit Plus (CCP) Program FAQs

Miami students enjoy life on campus

Can I participate in CCP?

If you are a student in grades 7-12, you can apply for CCP admission to a public or participating private college. The college will admit you based on your college-readiness and their admission standards. Your school counselor can help you understand your options, deadlines, and how to proceed. You may not participate in the CCP program beyond your anticipated high school graduation date.

How can CCP benefit me?

CCP provides more options for you to pursue rigorous academic coursework beyond the high school classroom. Under CCP, you can complete up to 30 credits per year and up to 120 credits total, and explore college content that interests you or enroll in courses that meet academic pathways toward a degree. Earning college credits while you’re in high school can reduce the time and cost of attending college after high school.

Does CCP differ from the previous PSEO program?

CCP is a student-directed program. Students and their families can explore courses offered at all Ohio public colleges and participating private colleges for possible participation in CCP. Unlike PSEO, CCP is open to students beginning in grade 7 and districts are not permitted to restrict an otherwise qualified student’s participation in any way.

How do college courses earn me high school credit?

CCP allows high school students to earn college credit and apply that credit toward their high school graduation requirements. Successful completion of a three or more credit-hour college course will result in 1.0 Carnegie unit earned at the high school. A two credit-hour college course will earn students 2/3 of a high school credit and a one credit-hour college course will convert to 1/3 of a high school credit.

How are high school graduation requirements impacted?

High school graduation requirements will not be waived as a result of participation in CCP. You will not receive a diploma until after the course is successfully completed and the graduation requirement is met. However, you may participate in the graduation ceremony if proof is presented that you are progressing satisfactorily one week prior to graduation. CCP does not replace the requirements to earn a high school diploma. This includes earning 18 points or more on the graduation tests. Even if you are enrolled in college courses, you must take the end-of-course exams in English I, English II, Algebra I, and Geometry. You do not have to take the end-of course exams in Physical Science, American Government, and American History if you are enrolled in CCP courses that substitute. A CCP student’s end-of-course grades in Physical Science, American Government, and American History will correspond with a point scale used for graduation requirements.

Where can I take college courses?

Some college courses under CCP may be offered online, at your high school, or on the college campus. Courses offered through Miami University's Oxford Campus will be online or on-campus only.

My high school has a formal arrangement with a local college to offer CCP, am I only able to take their courses?

No. After you are admitted to a college, you can take any courses offered by that college that you are college-ready to take. Also, each Ohio high school has developed two sample pathways – one leading to 15 credits and another to 30 credits. These should be included in your high school’s course offerings. However, students have no obligation to take courses identified on a pathway or to complete a pathway. Students can take courses offered in person or online by any public or participating private college in Ohio. Miami University's Oxford Campus has also developed academic pathways for students to consider as these are intended to apply toward degree requirements.

Will CCP grades appear on my high school transcript?

Yes. High school credit awarded for courses successfully completed under CCP will satisfy or exceed the graduation requirements and subject area requirements of the school district. Courses successfully completed under CCP must be listed by course title on the high school transcript. All CCP courses will be computed into the GPA using the same scale as Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses in your district.

How does CCP impact athletic eligibility?

If you are a student athlete, you must remain eligible in accordance with the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) bylaws. To be athletically eligible, students must be passing five, one credit courses or the equivalent per grading period with the high school and college courses combined. Most CCP courses taken during a semester will equal one Carnegie unit, allowing students to earn more than the required five for athletic eligibility. Please check with your counselor to ensure that the course work you are taking is compliant with the OHSAA bylaws.

What are my academic and social responsibilities?

You will be expected to follow the rules and regulations set by the college/university. You will also be expected to follow the rules and regulations set for high school students detailed in the Student Handbook. Once enrolled, you are eligible to receive advising from campus-based support services of that institution. Additionally, you will continue to have access to your school counselor and all other resources available to high school students. Participation in CCP does not guarantee you admission to college after high school. You should follow the regular undergraduate application process for the college you plan to attend after high school.

What courses are available through CCP?

Once you are admitted to a college for CCP, you may take any course in the college’s course catalogue that is not remedial or religious, and that applies toward a degree or professional certificate, in a subject area in which you are college-ready. Many Miami University courses require prerequisites, knowledge, and skill. Admission into the CCP program does not guarantee course availability.

Who pays for college admission, textbooks, fees, and transportation?

Students attending a public college will not be charged for tuition, books, or fees. Responsibility for transportation rests with the student. For public high school and community school students, there is no transfer of tuition between student and college. The high school's state foundation will pay the college directly. If the student is enrolled in a nonpublic high school, or is home-schooled, the cost may be subsidized by funds set aside by the Ohio General Assembly in each biennium and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. In order to receive this funding, the student must provide the state with the Application for Funding Form and a copy of the letter of acceptance from the university. Public, community, or nonpublic high school, or home-schooled students electing this option may not be required to pay for tuition or books. Nonpublic and home-schooled students will be notified by the state if their request for funding is approved.

How do I obtain books for my classes?

Books for CCP students are paid for by the school district. Each school district will coordinate this process and communicate with CCP students.

What if I fail a class?

Classes failed or withdrawn with an “F” will receive an “F” on the high school and college transcripts and will be computed into the high school and college GPA. If you do not receive a passing grade, the district may, in some instances, seek reimbursement for the amount of state funds paid to the college on your behalf for that college course. The school district may withhold grades and credits received for high school courses taken until reimbursement has been made.

Does college credit transfer after graduation?

Thanks to Ohio’s Transfer to Degree Guarantee, many entry-level courses earned at an Ohio public college are guaranteed to transfer to any other Ohio public college. Credits earned at private colleges, or those that you want to transfer to an out-of-state institution, will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the institution you are seeking to attend. Go to to learn more about credit transfer among the state’s public institutions of higher education. This tool allows you to find the best pathways to degree completion and launch successful careers. Earning college credit will not impact applications for financial aid/scholarships limited to entering freshmen.

Are private school and homeschool students eligible for CCP?

Yes. CCP is an opportunity available to all eligible 7-12 grade students who are accepted into the program by a college or university within Ohio. The program operates in much the same way regardless of what high school a student attends. However, students attending a private high school and homeschool students must apply to the department of education to receive funding to underwrite their costs. Please visit for information, forms, and updates.

Do I need to complete a separate application for admission to the CCP Program at the Oxford campus?

Yes, you must complete a separate admission application. For more information, visit the CCP website or contact the Office of Admission.