Foreign Language FAQ

Do I have to take the foreign language placement test?

If you are starting a foreign language for the first time, you do not need to take the foreign language placement test. The exception to this is for French and Spanish, where all students planning on studying these languages must have a placement score on record.

If you have taken a foreign language in high school and plan on continuing that language, you will need to take the placement test. The placement test gives you a score that helps you register for the appropriate level of a foreign language; the placement test does not waive the foreign language requirement, nor does it award academic credit.

The foreign language placement test can be taken at any point online.

Can I "get out of" taking foreign language?

Students must earn credit in a foreign language at or beyond the 202-level. A foreign language substitution is only approved for students who have documented language-based learning disabilities. If you have a question about the foreign language requirement please talk with a divisional advisor.

How do I find my scores if I took the placement test a while ago?

Log back into the language placement testing database with your UniqueID and password. Scroll down and you will see any past tests taken with your raw score and suggested placement.

I have a disability and have previously received accommodations for foreign language requirements. Will I be exempt from completing this requirement?

The Miller Center for Student Disability Services coordinates foreign language course substitution requirements for eligible students with disabilities when reasonable and appropriate. Students should affiliate themselves with the Miller Center to request an accommodation. Contact the Miller Center at with questions.

Can I skip to a higher or lower level than my placement put me into?

A student must start with their placement. If the course proves to be too difficult or too easy, speak with your course instructor early in the semester about moving to a more appropriate course. The usual course sequence (101→ 102 → 201 → 202 or 111 → 201 → 202) may not be interrupted until completion of 202. Courses in the sequence may not be skipped. Only ‘real’ beginners may start with 101.