General FAQ

How do I reach the College of Arts and Science Advising Office?

By phone: 513-529-3031

By email:

How can I contact my advisor?

Unless they have instructed you otherwise, we recommend sending them an email. University student/faculty/staff emails can be found in the directory or by using the "Search" box in the top, right corner of any Miami University webpage, including this one.  If you don’t receive a response, you can also try calling them at the number listed in the directory.

My advisor has not responded to my emails and I need help. What should I do?

We would be happy to help. Call our office at 513-529-3031 or email us at

I just have a quick question. Can I call the CAS Advising Office?

Yes, please call 513-529-3031 during normal business hours (8am-5pm, M-F), and we will do our best to connect you with an academic advisor as soon as we can. Please note, if the advisor determines that more extensive discussion is necessary, he or she may ask you to schedule an appointment.

I have an advising hold. How do I get that removed?

It depends on the type of hold. BannerWeb should list a contact number for questions.

If it is a hold that requires meeting with an academic advisor, please visit our website for instructions on scheduling an appointment.

I have a form that needs a signature, or I need a letter from a Dean or academic advisor.

Please email the advising office (

The email must include the following information and must come from your Miami email account:

  • a scanned PDF of the application with the applicant portion completed (if applicable)
  • a detailed list of what information we need to provide
  • Authorization for release of information must include:
    • this release statement: I hereby authorize the release of information relating to my academic and/or disciplinary record by the College of Arts and Science of Miami University.
    • Miami Unique ID
    • mailing address of applicant
    • phone number of applicant
    • reason for the release (e.g., transferring courses from another college/university, submitting Common Application)
  • instructions on where and how to send the completed form/letter (e.g., email or mailing address)

Who is my advisor?

To find your faculty advisor's name and contact information:

  1. Log in to myMiami
  2. Search “who is my academic advisor”
  3. In the search results, you’ll see the following:
  4. Click the heart icon to add this to your Favorites
  5. Click this option to find information about your assigned academic advisor.  If you have difficulty, please call us at 513-529-3031.

What if I am interested in talking to someone in a different division other than the college?

You may contact the divisional office at the numbers below:

Other Miami Divisions and Phone Numbers
College or School Phone Number
Farmer School of Business (513) 529-1712
College of Education, Health, & Society (513) 529-3133
College of Engineering & Computing (513) 529-0700
College of Creative Arts (513) 529-2209

How do I declare a major(s), minor(s), and thematic sequence in CAS?

To change or add a new major/minor/thematic sequence, contact the department which houses your new major/minor/thematic sequence.

What if I am changing my major from another division to the College of Arts and Science?

You should meet with a CAS divisional advisor during drop-in hours. Please contact the office to be added to the drop-in advising queue (513-529-3031).

How can I find my Degree Audit?

Your degree audit can be accessed online via BannerWeb.

Can I become a part of the Honors College?

You should contact the Honors College to find out if you are eligible.

When should I see an academic advisor?

You should see your assigned academic advisorin preparation for each semester's registration, as well as any other times when you have questions or would like to talk about your academic pursuits.