Alumni Success

Alumni Spotlight: Matthew Zuehlke

Matthew Zuehlke (Music Education '99) is currently in his 25th year of teaching band in Central Ohio.

Zuehlke family
Jenifer, Matthew (Miami Mergers), and daughter, Katelyn.
Alumni Success

Alumni Spotlight: Matthew Zuehlke

Matthew Zuehlke (Music Education '99) is currently in his 25th year of teaching band in Central Ohio. For the last 17 years, he has taught Middle School Band at Karrer Music in the Dublin City School District. Currently, his oldest daughter is a Sophomore at Miami majoring in Social Studies Education and is in the Miami Marching Band.

Zuehlke answered a few questions below as part of our ongoing alumni features.

Congrats on your silver anniversary of teaching band in Central Ohio! What are your most enjoyable moments working with your students at Karrer Middle School in the Dublin City School District? How is your band program structured at KMS?

I've been teaching for 25 years and the last 17 in at Karrer Middle School in Dublin Ohio. I am the director of bands and teach the 6, 7 and 8th grade bands throughout the day. It's about 225 students every year. The highlight of my career was having my three children all in my bands at some point. My oldest daughter is a History Ed major at Miami and plays in the Marching Band. My youngest children are 9th graders at Dublin Jerome and play tuba and the oboe. It was amazing to direct them everyday.

What was your primary instrument of study and who was your studio professor?

I'm a tuba player and studied with the late Michael Thornton of the Cincinnati Symphony. He drove up every week to work with the tubas and euphoniums. He really was a special teacher.

What ensembles did you participate in?

At Miami I participated in the Marching Band, Hockey/Basketball Pep Band, Symphony Band and Wind Ensemble.

What are some meaningful memories you have from your ensemble, studio, and classroom experiences at Miami?

I made a lot of lifelong friends in the Miami Marching Band. So much of my college years were based around the characters I met there and in KKPsi. We made music, played hockey and broom-ball together and went to class. (Have to love those 8am music classes) My professors were all amazing as well. Jack Liles, Dave Shaffer, Gary Speck, Sam Reynolds, and many others helped shape me into the teacher and person I am today. It really is crazy now getting together at Miami Football games to watch our children march together.

We have a vibrant music education cohort of students, nearly 40 traveled to the OMEA PDC last week! Our students receive wonderful mentorship and field experience opportunities that help prepare them for student teaching. What advice would you give to our pre-service music educators who are beginning to prepare for their student teaching experience?

For students studying music education now, I would play as much as you can now, esp. on secondary instruments.  You are surrounded by people who are great at their instrument.  Switch and play with them and absorb as much as you can.  Also, learn how to work on basic instrument repair.  I took that class as a graduate student and I use it daily.