Embassies and Consulates

If you are a U.S. citizen, in many ways the U.S. Embassy or Consulate is your government representative when overseas and out of country.

A U.S. Embassy or Consulate can: get you a new passport, locate medical services, locate an English speaking lawyer, provide information on absentee voting, provide U.S. tax forms, notarize documents, provide information on obtaining foreign public documents, evacuate you during a natural disaster or political upheaval, and make sure your jail conditions are the same as locals.

A U.S. Embassy or Consulate cannot: get you out of jail, pay for any medical bills, give you money, or search for missing luggage.

U.S. Consulate services are available to U.S. citizens. If you are a citizen of another country, check with your home country to learn about resources available to you.

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a U.S. Department of State traveler registration program. When you sign up, you will automatically receive the most current information compiled about the country where you will be traveling or living. You will also receive updates, including Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts.

You only need to sign up once, and then you can add and delete trips from your account based on your current travel plans. You will also receive alerts about planned protests and the Department of State is better to assist in the event of an emergency, including a lost passport. You must sign up for your study abroad program - and you are strongly encouraged to do so for independent travel.