IRS Form 1040 or 1040NR

Documents Needed to Complete Form 1040 or 1040NR

W2 Form: A W2 form is the wage and tax statement provided by your employer. W2's are issued to everyone who worked and was paid by an employer during the previous year unless all wages were exempt under a tax treaty. The W2 form contains information regarding taxable wages paid to you, and the taxes withheld from those wages for the tax year specified on the W2 form. If you worked for multiple employers, you will receive a W2 from each employer.

1042S Form: A 1042S form is used to report taxable income and federal tax withholding relating to the following types of income received by Non-Resident Aliens:

  • Wage payments made to employees who have claimed tax treaty benefits.
  • Tax reportable (non-qualified) fellowship/scholarship income.
  • Non-employee prize or award payments.

Qualified scholarships (money used to pay for tuition, fees, and books) are not reported on Form 1042S.

If you meet one of the above criteria and you have not received your Form 1042S by March 15 you must contact the Payroll office.

Please ensure that your current mailing address is accurate in BannerWeb. This is the address that will be used to mail the Form 1042S.

In general, International students and scholars must file a U.S. tax return by April 15 of each year.