Tax Treaty Benefits

Eligible international students in the U.S. can significantly decrease their U.S. tax liability by claiming tax treaty benefits. The U.S. has tax treaty agreements with more than 55 countries. Per these treaty agreements, students may be exempt from U.S. income tax on certain types of income from sources in the U.S. or they may be taxed at reduced rates. In order to claim a treaty benefit, a student must have a Social Security Number or ITIN.

If you are employed by Miami University, and are eligible for a treaty benefit, the Payroll Office will apply the treaty benefit to tax your earnings accordingly after you complete all required forms and provide necessary documentation.