Medical Reduced Course Load or Withdrawal

Government regulations state that a student may be authorized for a reduced course load (part-time studies) or leave of absence/total semester class withdrawal “due to a student’s temporary illness or medical condition for a period of time not to exceed an aggregate of 12 months while the student is pursuing a course of study at a particular program level.” Students seeking to drop below full-time enrollment should apply for and receive approval for a Medical Reduced Course Load or Withdrawal prior to dropping coursework or withdrawing.

Application Procedure

  1. Download the ISSS Medical Reduced Course Load or Withdrawal Process packet. This packet contains the following:
    • Student Request Form
    • Provider Recommendation
    • Plan of Ongoing Care
  2. Complete the Student Request Form and then take the form to your medical provider. Your Medical Provider must complete the Provider Recommendation. Both you and your Medical Provider should discuss a Plan of Ongoing Care. Please consider:
    • Due to government regulations, your medical provider must be a Licensed Medical Doctor, Doctor of Osteopathy, or Licensed Clinical Psychologist based in the United States. Most students obtain documentation from Miami University Student Counseling Service or Student Health Services.
    • If you are pursuing care from a medical provider not affiliated with Miami University, you must submit additional documentation (medical provider’s business card and letter of support on office letterhead). Medical providers must provide verifiable contact information. ISSS reserves the right to contact your medical provider if there are questions concerning your request.
    • You are pursuing this benefit based on the assertion you are experiencing a serious medical condition. As a result, you are encouraged to discuss and pursue ongoing treatment with your medical provider. Your medical provider may also require that you meet several times before completion of the forms. Please allow time for this process.
  3. If pursuing leave of absence or withdrawal: Submit online Student Withdrawal and Cancellation Form. Please select medical for your reason.

  4. Schedule an appointment with an ISSS Advisor and submit the completed ISSS Medical Reduced Course Load or Withdrawal forms.

Your request will be reviewed. Although support from a medical provider is required, final authorization for a medical reduced course load or withdrawal must come from ISSS.

You will be notified of the decision by email. If approved, please complete ongoing treatment as agreed to with your medical provider. You should feel well prepared for the academic rigors of study before applying for return to Miami. Please note a medical hold will be placed by the Office of the Dean of Students preventing registration for the upcoming term.

Your medical withdrawal may have implications for your student record, grades, coursework, and registration holds. The Office of the Dean of Students provides more information on these implications as well as possible financial options.

Returning to Studies After Medical Withdrawal

If you are approved for a medical leave of absence or withdrawal (not reduced course load), you will be required to complete several steps to return to your studies. All steps should be completed ideally at least one month before the start of the term in order to successfully return to studies. Review additional guidance on Returning from Medical Withdrawal from the Office of the Dean of Students.

  1. Resolve Medical Hold
    1. Submit the Return from Medical Withdrawal form to the Office of the Dean of Students as soon as your medical provider agrees that you are ready to return. Once the correctly completed form has been received, Office of the Dean of Students will remove your medical hold and send confirmation by email.

  2. Submit Online Re-Enrollment Form
    1. After you receive confirmation that your medical hold has been removed, submit an online re-enrollment form to the University. Please note that if you apply for re-enrollment before your medical hold is removed, it will not be processed.

  3. Resolve Advising Registration Hold
    1. Contact your divisional advising office for assistance.

  4. Enroll full-time for upcoming semester.
    1. If you are already registered for the upcoming term, you must still complete steps 1-3 to avoid class cancellation.

Late Medical Withdrawal

If you are seeking withdrawal based on medical reasons for a past academic term (not current term), this is considered a late medical withdrawal request. Take care to review university deadlines regarding late medical withdrawal. For those deadlines as well as other requirements, students seeking late medical withdrawal should review guidelines from the Dean of Students office and also consult with ISSS.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have access to university facilities like Counseling, Health Services, or the gym when I'm approved for Medical Reduced Course Load or Withdrawal?

It depends. Some of Miami’s services are funded through fees or are only available to full-time students. If you are not enrolled full-time or being charged the relevant fee, this may cause you to lose access. To confirm the policy, please check with the relevant offices.

Is there a deadline to pursue Medical Reduced Course Load (part-time studies)?

Yes, students must keep in mind the deadlines for dropping a course and receiving a “W” on their transcript. These dates can always be found on the Registrar’s website under Academic Calendars.

Is there a deadline to pursue Medical Withdrawal (withdrawal of all coursework)?

It is best to pursue medical leave of absence or withdrawal during the term you are experiencing the medical condition.

If I am pursuing Medical Withdrawal, can I receive credit for work completed this term?

No, unless the student has completed and been assigned a passing grade in a sprint course (any course less than a full term in length), prior to the date of his/her last class attendance for that term. If a student has completed and received a passing grade in a sprint course in the term from which he/she is requesting medical withdrawal, he/she must indicate that on the request form as well as a rationale for retaining it; otherwise, it will also be removed from the record.

If I am pursuing Medical Withdrawal, what will my transcript say?

The student’s transcript from a term for which a medical withdrawal has been approved will indicate only “officially withdrawn [date]” without specifying the nature of the reason for that withdrawal in order to protect privacy.

What information is available about reimbursement of tuition or fees?

Effective July 1, 2012, a student will be provided with a refund of tuition and fees in accordance with the University’s established refund schedule unless they indicate directly to the Office of the Bursar (513-529-4886) that they prefer to receive a Medical Tuition Credit. A Medical Tuition Credit is a credit in an amount equal to that paid for tuition and general fees for the term of the MLOA less any student financial assistance that must be returned to the financial aid program. A Medical Tuition Credit can only be requested within the academic calendar year in which the MLOA is approved. A Medical Tuition Credit will typically be applied to the first term of re-enrollment following the student’s MLOA and must be used within three years. A student is eligible for only one Medical Tuition Credit. Students are strongly urged to consult with the One Stop at 513-529-0001 (select the option for financial aid) to determine how their withdrawal will affect their financial aid before determining whether to seek a refund or Medical Tuition Credit.

Any direct refund of tuition or fees due the student will be determined from the last date of class attendance, as provided on the request form, regardless of the date of the onset of the condition prompting the request for medical reduced course load or withdrawal.

It is possible that a tuition refund insurance plan may cover part of the non-reimbursable tuition, for families who purchased such a plan. Questions regarding these options should be addressed to the One Stop.

I am pursuing Medical Reduced Course Load or Withdrawal for a summer or winter term. Does this count toward my 12 months?

If you are a continuing student who has maintained your legal status, no, it does not. Generally enrollment is not required during break periods such as summer or winter term. If you are a new student or returning student, please consult with ISSS.