Buildings, Campuses, and Colleges
buildings and rooms (Oxford and Regionals)
Below are two acceptable forms. Use one consistently within the same piece:
- Upham Hall 124
- Bachelor 126
*Note that some rooms have specific names. In that case, use the full room name.
- Dolibois C, Shriver Center
centers and institutes
On first reference, use full formal name. For subsequent references, the center, or the institute, is acceptable, as is the generally accepted acronym. Per AP Style, do not follow an organization's name with an abbreviation or acronym in parentheses or set off by dashes.
- The Center for Social Entrepreneurship received a large grant. The center plans to use it for student resources.
- Miami's Center for Teaching Excellence will host a faculty webinar. Sign up for the CTE event starting Monday.
- The Institute of Environmental Sciences and Sustainability attracts scholars from around the globe. By providing expert leadership, IES supports the university's environmental education goals.
colleges and divisions
Miami University has multiple academic divisions. Uppercase the full names of all colleges and divisions on first reference. For subsequent references, noted abbreviations are acceptable:
- College of Arts and Science (CAS)
- College of Creative Arts (CCA)
- College of Education, Health, and Society (EHS)
- Do not substitute & for and.
- College of Engineering and Computing (CEC)
- Farmer School of Business (FSB)
- Graduate School
- College of Liberal Arts and Applied Science (CLAAS), which serves Regionals
- John E. Dolibois European Center, our European campus in Luxembourg
- For subsequent references, Dolibois European Center is acceptable.
Use lowercase: cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude. These terms are not italicized.
Uppercase formal names like Department of Music. Lowercase informal names like music department.
For departments with acronyms, use full formal name on first reference. For subsequent references, defer to the department for the appropriate acronym and make it known immediately after the first reference.
- Department of Emerging Technology in Business and Design (ETBD)
- Department of Global and Intercultural Studies (GIC)
On general reference, lowercase and hyphenated. Uppercase when referring to specific communities.
- Miami provides many living-learning communities.
- FSB Scholars Living-Learning Community
Miami University Regionals
On first reference, use full name. For subsequent references, there are several acceptable terms. However, use one consistently within the same piece:
- Miami Regionals
- regional campuses
- regional locations
Residence hall is the preferred usage in all cases. Avoid dormitory.