Transferring Credit

Transfer Credit Policies

For complete information on Miami University’s transfer credit policies, consult the Miami University Bulletin and the Miami University Student Handbook. Information about Activity Agreements, Articulation Agreements, Memoranda of Understanding, Partnership Agreements, and Student Exchange Agreements can also be found online.

Determining if your credits transfer

Course equivalency and program information can be found on to assist students in reviewing/previewing transfer credit information. Information on Advanced Placement (AP) / International Baccalaureate (IB) / College Level Examination Program (CLEP) are located in the Miami Bulletin in the Academic Planning section.

If you are not a current student at Miami University, you are encouraged to use Transferology. Further information for prospective transfer students about credit evaluations can be found on the Transfer Admission website.

  • Courses taken prior to Fall 2009: Transfer credit is granted for college-level courses earned at a regionally accredited institution of higher education for which you receive a grade of a "C" or better.
  • Courses taken Fall 2009 or after: Transfer credit will be granted in which the grade reported was a D- or better from a regionally accredited Ohio institution.
  • Courses taken Fall 2010 or after: Transfer credit will be granted in which the grade reported was a D- or better from all regionally accredited institutions.

Grades do not transfer and do not affect your Miami GPA.

AP / IB / CLEP scores

AP, IB, and/or CLEP scores should be sent to the Office of the University Registrar for evaluation. For more information on sending scores, visit the websites below.

More information about how AP credit is applied to your record is available on the AP Credit & Your Miami Record page.

Transfer from Quarter Schools

Credits earned at a quarter school transfer to Miami at 2/3 the earned value:

  • 5.0 qtr hrs = 3.3 sem hrs
  • 4.0 qtr hrs = 2.6 sem hrs
  • 3.0 qtr hrs = 2.0 sem hrs
  • 2.0 qtr hrs = 1.3 sem hrs

Transfer from Semester Schools

Semester credit hours transferred are equivalent to those earned from the transferring school.

Transfer of Study Abroad Courses

Students who intend to study abroad on a non-Miami sponsored Program should consult with the Study Abroad Office to determine if transfer credit can be accepted and the required documentation is available.

Chinese School Transfer Work and Transcript Procedures

Effective September 1, 2019, transcripts from Chinese institutions MUST be submitted with a verification report from the China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC). The report must be mailed directly to the Office of the University Registrar by CHESICC. Any transcript not mailed by CHESICC will not be considered.

There are numerous English-language based summer programs in China which are administered by a third-party collaboration with an institution hosting the program on a campus in China. If the program is not part of a university degree program, it may not be recognized by the Chinese Ministry of Education. This determination will be made by CHESICC for all China programs. Moreover, a CHESICC verification does not guarantee the transfer of credit to Miami University. College courses completed through summer and winter programs offered on the campuses of officially recognized institutions in China will not be reviewed or pre-approved for transfer credit in advance and are subject to an additional review and will only be considered for transfer credit if the following requirements are fully met:

  • The courses must be completed at an institution that is officially recognized by the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China as a university and possess regional academic accreditation.
  • The summer/winter programs offering the courses must be recognized by CHESICC, and the recognition status must be clearly indicated on the official CHESICC verification report.
  • The completed courses must be officially recorded by an accredited university in China and the student records (transcript) must be issued directly by the university’s record office, and not by any administrative offices within the university.
  • The student records (transcript) should be issued on official university transcript paper and stamped by the university’s record office.
Please note, courses completed at an officially recognized institution in China but recorded by an accredited U.S university without a physical branch campus in China are subject to additional review and may not be eligible for consideration of transfer credit.


An official transcript must be sent directly from the issuing institution to Miami University.

Electronic Submission

Miami University participates in and accepts electronically exchanged transcripts from other Ohio public undergraduate institutions through the Ohio Department of Higher Education transcript exchange. Electronic transcripts sent from Ohio private institutions and non-Ohio institutions through a third-party vendor are also accepted and should be sent to


Paper transcripts must be mailed directly from the transferring institution to Miami University: 

Miami University
Office of the University Registrar
Transfer Credit Evaluations
301 S. Campus Avenue
Oxford, OH 45056

Miami University will not evaluate or post-transfer credit from an ‘Issued to Student’ or hand-delivered transcript or other academic record documents.  All documents used to transfer evaluation and award of credit must be sent directly from the issuing institution to Miami University.



Transferology is an online tool that will help you view program requirements, course equivalencies, and see how courses you have taken or plan to take transfer to another college or university.

  • Access and create an account.
  • Enter the school name where you  plan to take or have taken a course.
  • Enter the department name of the course and select the course you have taken or plan to take. The course(s) you select will appear on the right side of your screen.
  • After you have entered all your courses, click on the green “Find schools that accept my coursework” button.
  • Click on Miami University – Oxford to view how your course(s) from the other school will transfer to Miami University. Courses that end in T** transfer as elective credit and not an equivalent Miami course.
  • If Miami University does not appear in the list of schools, it means that your course has not yet been evaluated by Miami University.
  • Please contact the Transfer Credit Evaluations staff at or 513-529-8703 to have your course reviewed.

How do I get a "T" course (elective) approved as a Miami course?

The Transfer Credit Approval form [PDF] is used in obtaining department approval of transfer credit to specific equated courses at Miami that have not been previously approved.

Student Responsibility:

  1. Go to to verify that the course has not previously been approved.
  2. Complete Student Information at the top of the Transfer Credit Approval Form [PDF].
  3. Identify Courses to be taken at the other Institution.
  4. Attach a copy of the course description. Course descriptions can be found on most institution websites.
  5. Forward completed form and course description to the Chief Department Advisor (CDA). A current list of departments is available on the Transfer Credit Approval Form [PDF].
  6. Review all information with the CDA. Upon approval the CDA will forward signed Transfer Credit Approval form, via campus mail or department personnel, to the transfer credit evaluation staff.