International Students

Determining Federal Student Aid Eligibility

To be eligible for federal student aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen. In general, an eligible non-citizen is in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a citizen or lawful permanent resident as determined by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Eligible statuses include the following:

  • U.S. citizens or nationals
  • U.S. permanent residents
  • Citizens of the Freely Associated States: the Federated States of Micronesia and the republics of Palau and the Marshall Islands (These students are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and Federal Work-Study, but not for federal student loans.)
  • Other eligible non-citizens (e.g., refugees, persons granted asylum, conditional entrants, persons paroled into the U.S. for at least one year and Cuban-Haitian entrants)

Documents that establish aid eligibility are the Permanent Resident Card or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551). Both forms are referred to as green cards, though they are not green in color. Permanent residents may also present an Arrival/Departure Record (CBP Form I-94) or the new Departure Record used at land border ports of entry (Form I-94A) with the proper endorsement.


Some private loans are available to international students. If you do not meet credit, income, or employment guidelines, you will need an eligible creditworthy cosigner (typically a U.S. citizen or permanent resident).

The yearly amount borrowed cannot exceed your annual cost of attendance minus other financial aid resources. The loan amount is for the entire year and will be disbursed in two equal amounts—one-half for fall semester and one-half for spring semester—unless otherwise designated. Miami will accept private loans from any private lender.

Student Loan Code of Conduct

The guiding principles for ensuring the integrity of the student aid process and the ethical conduct of employees in regard to student loan practices are provided in the Miami University Student Loan Code of Conduct.

Finding Employment

Student employment is available on campus. University employers do their own hiring, and you are responsible for finding a job. You can search online for a listing of campus jobs. As an international student, you do not need any special authorization to work on campus. However, the Office of International Student and Scholar Services advises that you not work during your first semester at Miami.

Miami's Department of Human Resources (15 Roudebush Hall) coordinates all student employment. If you have a Permanent Resident card, you will need to have it, along with proper identification (i.e., passport), to complete your Student Employment Payroll Registration form. However, if you are not a U.S. citizen or are a Resident Alien with a green card, once you have a campus job, you will need to go to Payroll Services to submit your tax information before your Student Payroll Registration form can be processed.

For other employment opportunities, such as Optional Practical Training (OPT), Curricular Practical Training (CPT), or J-1 Academic Training, see the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.

Contacting Miami University

Prospective and current international students may obtain helpful, detailed information by contacting the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.