Independent Work

Independent Study

Students requesting independent work must complete the Independent Study Permit form with an instructor who will serve as the instructor of record. The specific requirements for earning the agreed-upon number of credit hours are determined as part of this negotiation between the student and the faculty member.

The Independent Study Permit form must be received by the Office of the University Registrar or Regional Campuses Registrar with the signature of the faculty member and the department chair by the last day to add independent work deadline published on the academic calendar.

Students can register for one to five hours of independent work each semester (no more than 10 hours per year). Registration for each course is in accordance with the level of instruction.

  • To register for independent work, contact the instructor for project approval.
  • Complete the student information portion of the Independent Study Permit form.
  • Give the form to your instructor for approval. The instructor and department chair signatures are required.
    • Oxford students: Bring the completed form to the One Stop (Campus Avenue Building) for processing.
    • Regional students: Bring the completed form to the One Stop on any regional campus for processing.
  • Check your schedule on BannerWeb to ensure your course has been added.


An internship is an opportunity that combines learning with work and offers a unique experience for career exploration. For more information about how to request an internship be documented and/or awarded academic credit, visit the “Internships” page on the Center for Career Exploration and Success’s website.