Share:

Major Insight Episode 36 How to Architect a Sustainable Future

Julia Bohlen

Major Insight Podcast          More Miami Podcasts          Request Information

As an architecture major, Julie Bohlen ‘22 is passionate about community-focused projects that champion sustainable designs. Her work recently earned her 1st place in the 2021 American Institute of Architects Ohio Student Design Awards for her project called “Eviction to Empowerment: Shared Housing in Milwaukee’s Inner City.”

Julia is also a member of the Miami University Botanical Society, and she’s a great example of how college can help students combine creative thinking with an analytical mindset to help solve important problems.

Featured Majors:

• Architecture

• Sustainability

Featured Organizations or Internships:

• American Institute of Architecture Students

• Botanical Society

• Chi Omega

Faculty Shout Outs:

• J E Elliott, Architecture + Interior Design Lecturer

• Regan Henry, Visiting Professor of Architecture + Interior Design

• Ben Herring, Visiting Professor of Architecture + Interior Design

Career Cluster:

Arts, Communication, Media and Design

Music: “Only Knows” by Broke For Free

Read the transcript

Intro Speaker Male:

The views and opinions expressed in this podcast by the host and guests may or may not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Miami University.

Intro Speaker Female:

I am going into my last semester of chemical engineering.

Intro Speaker Male:

I'm a senior journalism major.

Intro Speaker Female:

And I'm minoring in supply chain and operations management.

Intro Speaker Male:

I'm a biochemistry major.

Intro Speaker Male:

Classes are going great. Extracurriculars are going great.

Intro Speaker Female:

I'm an RA on campus.

Intro Speaker Male:

I'm thriving.

Jason Meggyesy:

Hi. I'm Jason Meggysey, and this is Major Insight. This is the podcast where we talk college life with amazing students about how to find your place and purpose on campus. As an architecture major, Julia Bohlen is passionate about community-focused projects that champions sustainable designs, and she just won first place in the 2021 American Institute of Architects Ohio Student Design Awards. Her project called Eviction to Empowerment: Shared housing in Milwaukee's Inner City, proposed an affordable housing solution for single mothers. Julia's also an active student on campus. She's a member of Miami University's Botanical Society and she's a great example of how college can help students combine creative thinking with an analytical mindset to help solve important problems. Julia, how are you doing?

Julia Bohlen:

I'm doing well. How are you?

Jason Meggyesy:

Doing very well. I'm glad we could get you in here and we could talk about all the cool things you're doing.

Julia Bohlen:

Thank you. I'm excited to be here.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. So just to kick us off, why don't you give an introduction about yourself, who you are, where you're from, all that good stuff?

Julia Bohlen:

Yeah. So my name is Julia, and I am a senior architecture student. I'm originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and really just enjoying the last moments of senior year.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah, definitely. Definitely. So just bring us back to growing up in Wisconsin, when did this passion for architecture start to develop in you? Was it something that was newly acquired when you got to school? Or how did that come about?

Julia Bohlen:

So it's been something that's been on my radar for a long time. I have grown up watching some of the work that my parents do, and so I've been exposed to architecture and design from an early age. I've also grown up doing puzzles, it's something I've always loved to do. And so to me, architecture feels like a big puzzle of putting together many different pieces for many different places and pulling from different information in different places and people and experiences to create this broader picture.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. And what work were your parents doing that influenced that?

Julia Bohlen:

So they own a landscape design business.

Jason Meggyesy:

Okay.

Julia Bohlen:

So my dad works a lot with drawings and things like that.

Jason Meggyesy:

And then in the questionnaire we had you fill out, you talked about volunteering in urban neighborhoods in Milwaukee. How did that impact you and just your development as a person?

Julia Bohlen:

Yeah. So that has been one of my interests, especially volunteer work, for a very long time. And I had a really cool opportunity growing up to volunteer in a charter school in one of the urban neighborhoods in Milwaukee. So I did that for several years throughout middle school and high school working with students after school. And going into these neighborhoods, it was pretty evident the disparities between good health and access to infrastructure and education and healthy foods and wellness opportunities and things like that. And so I would say experiencing this and seeing how it impacts the students and their ability to learn was a driver in my passion for architecture and working in a neighborhood of this future.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. So what you saw, how does that translate to architecture?

Julia Bohlen:

Yeah. So I've been exploring this through a lot of research. So a lot of my projects are very heavily data driven.

Jason Meggyesy:

Okay.

Julia Bohlen:

Using data about health and science and sustainability and sustainable development, specifically focusing on these urban neighborhoods where a lot of these disparities exist and being able to bring good health infrastructure, better access to opportunities and things like that into these neighborhoods.

Jason Meggyesy:

Got you. So it brings back to the senior year of high school. You're searching for that perfect school for you. How did you end up in Miami? How did that come under your radar? Where else were you looking?

Julia Bohlen:

Yeah. I will say as a senior in high school, I was all over the place.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah.

Julia Bohlen:

I applied everywhere from the University of Wisconsin-Madison to I applied to a couple schools in London in the UK. So it was really just a general mix of everything.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah.

Julia Bohlen:

And I loved Miami because I came to visit here. They honestly sent me a lot of mail.

Jason Meggyesy:

Mm-hmm (affirmative).

Julia Bohlen:

And finally, at one point, I was like-

Jason Meggyesy:

Why not?

Julia Bohlen:

Fine, I'll just look at the website. And it ended up having a lot of what I was looking for in a school. I loved the size of it. I loved the campus. I loved some of the programs that they had, the opportunities for study abroad. And when I came to visit again, I just really fell in love with the campus and the architecture program too was very intriguing to me. So there were a lot of opportunities here that I just really loved and was really happy that I chose Miami.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. You mentioned you were all over the place. Was architecture the one thing that you were looking for or were you looking at going into other areas?

Julia Bohlen:

It was in the back of my mind, I don't think it was the first priority by any means at any school. In others, I was looking into doing things with economics or even art history and engineering, a different combination of those skills.

Jason Meggyesy:

Mm-hmm (affirmative).

Julia Bohlen:

So not really. It was an interesting idea to me, but it wasn't the sole reason I was looking at schools.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. So how did you end up finally choosing that to be your study?

Julia Bohlen:

I think with Miami, I really enjoyed the program. And when I came to visit, I was able tour the studios and really see more of the experience in the program. So that is what sold me on architecture specifically as I was here.

Jason Meggyesy:

So stepping on to your first year in Oxford on the campus, Milwaukee to Oxford, Ohio is not a quick trip, not super close.

Julia Bohlen:

Mm-mm (negative).

Jason Meggyesy:

Just talk to me about freshman year, changes, transitions, how that impacted your experience.

Julia Bohlen:

Yeah. It was definitely different and it was a totally new world. As a kid, I never went to summer camp, so I'd never even lived away from home. So it was definitely different in a new adjustment trying to make friends and suddenly be very independent with my life. I would say the architecture program specifically helped with that a ton because it is such a close knit community. And so that's where I was able to meet a lot of really close friends and people I was spending time with. And we were all in studio late together working and doing things outside of studio, hanging out, all of that kind of stuff. So that helped a lot. And I had a great roommate freshman year too who we ended up being really great friends and that made the transition so much easier as well.

Jason Meggyesy:

What was your perception about the field and the study of architecture before coming in? And then now going through it, how has it changed and morphed into what you see it as now?

Julia Bohlen:

I would say actually my first semester was really challenging in architecture. So much of what we were doing seemed so abstract and arbitrary.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah.

Julia Bohlen:

And there wasn't a lot of structure. And we would get critiques about why things were good or not, and I just could never understand why something was good and something wasn't. So it was really hard for me to understand and it's such a different way of thinking. It's not a math problem where there's a right answer. There's a million ways you can solve something and a million ways you can take it. So that was very different and a really challenging way to adjust. But I would say in the last couple years in my studios, we've had a lot more flexibility to approach problems using information that we're familiar with and that we are passionate about. And so we have the ability to really drive projects that we are interested in pursuing.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah.

Julia Bohlen:

And that's helped a lot.

Jason Meggyesy:

Was there ever a moment when you were here at school and you were doing a project or something like that and you're like, "Man, I don't know if this is for me, I don't know if I made the right choice?"

Julia Bohlen:

Yeah. I've definitely had a few of those moments. Again, first semester was really challenging. And so going through this constant, "I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know if I like this. This just all seems super random." What really helped me though was I joined the American Institute of Architecture Students and we take a trip every year, it's called firm crawl. So that year, we went to New York City and we were able to obviously travel around the city and go visit museums and stuff like that. But we were there really to visit firms and graduate schools. And so going into these professional environments and really seeing the professional side of architecture and the real projects that are going on and the major impact that a lot of them can have helped a lot. And so I think sometimes in these moments, it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah.

Julia Bohlen:

But knowing the impact that you hope to make is always what helps me keep going.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. Yeah. And that leads me to the next thing I was going to ask about. Tell me more about your time and experience with the American Institute of Architecture Students.

Julia Bohlen:

Yeah. So AIAS has been a really important part of my experience here. I joined my first semester as a freshman and the opportunities that I've had as a result of the organization have all been really great and have helped to shape a lot of what I've been able to accomplish in the department. I am now the president of the organization. And so it's been fun to see everything come full circle again. And be able to help shape the opportunities and the impact that the organization has within the department has been a really rewarding experience this year.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. So you just mentioned that you're the president. So how have you seen the growth of this organization since you've come through it?

Julia Bohlen:

Yeah. It's cool to see the way that different members are able to shape the organization and the opportunities that we have as a result. Being on exec has allowed me to create new opportunities based on ways that I identify it being able to serve students more. It's also been really cool after COVID because there are now two classes of students that have never had the chance to experience the architecture department like we have. And so being able to bridge the gap, and again, bring back this culture that we have within the program has been a really important part of our experience this year. And so building on the mentorship opportunities and professional development and all of those things are really important.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. All right. Now, tell me about this design contest that you were involved with. How did it come together? Because I mean it sounds like great work that you're doing.

Julia Bohlen:

Thank you. Yeah. So the design competition, it was actually an opportunity that was sent to us through the American Institute of Architects, the Ohio Chapter. So every year, they have a student design awards competition, and students are allowed to submit work from projects that they've done in the previous year. And so the project that I submitted was a project from last semester. It was something I worked on for a studio class. So it was a project looking at eviction rates in Milwaukee and looking at potential housing solutions for groups that face particularly high rates of eviction within the city. So I entered that into the competition and I was not expecting to win anything. It was a surprise and a really big honor.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. Cool. Cool. So what was your feeling like when you found out that you won?

Julia Bohlen:

I as very surprised.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah.

Julia Bohlen:

Again, totally unexpected. It was really rewarding though, because it is a project I poured so, so much time into and it was something, again, that was very meaningful to me. It was a project based in a city in my hometown that I'm very familiar with. And so to be able to do this work and be recognized for it in this way was very meaningful and very surprising.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. That's super cool. Super cool, and important too. I mean you have hands on experience with it, so it's super cool to see you take that experience and apply it to something real. Is there any way that it could actually be implemented into some solution? Or?

Julia Bohlen:

Ideally, yes. I mean it would obviously have to go through a significant amount of development to do that. But actually, one of our connections, I think through my church, we know a person who works for an organization in Milwaukee doing similar work. And so I am actually going to talk with him, probably not that my project will go anywhere, but just to share some ideas, and again, keep learning from him so eventually that I can go on to continue this work in other capacities.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. You never know what's going to happen just from a conversation, right?

Julia Bohlen:

Exactly.

Jason Meggyesy:

Cool.

Julia Bohlen:

Exactly.

Jason Meggyesy:

Now, tell me about some of the other stuff that you're involved with here on campus, I mean because obviously, you don't just do architecture all day every day, right?

Julia Bohlen:

I mean sometimes I do. But I am a member of Chi Omega sorority. So that's been a really great way to stay involved and meet some people outside of the architecture community. I have been a member of Alpha Rho Chi, which is the architecture and arts fraternity. I just joined the Miami Botanical Society, which is a cool fun little way to get involved doing some things very different than what I'm usually involved in.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah.

Julia Bohlen:

And then of course, just trying to see friends and maintain this little community that I've made over the last couple years.

Jason Meggyesy:

The one that stuck out to me the most was the botanical society one. I need to know more about that. What's going on with that?

Julia Bohlen:

Yeah. So I've actually only been to a couple meetings, but it sounds really cool. We've talked about a few ways that we might actually partner with architecture even to go on to do some design projects on campus. So far though, we've really just had some general meetings to spend time in the formal gardens, which are right by the Markham, the hotel, and just spent some time outside and learning about plants and just getting to know each other which has been cool.

Jason Meggyesy:

Are you super into plants? Is that a thing?

Julia Bohlen:

I do love plants a lot, again, because of my parents' business. I've always grown up around plants and flowers and loving that.

Jason Meggyesy:

I mean you just listed off all of these amazing organizations and groups that you're a part of. How important has it been for you to be involved on campus with other things other than architecture?

Julia Bohlen:

Yeah, I think it's huge. Again, the architecture community is the core of my experience here. But making some new friends and connections elsewhere has been really instrumental in my experience here as well. And the opportunity to take my mind off of architecture sometimes and go have some different opportunities and explore some new ideas is also really great because I think at the end of the day that it helps to shape my understanding of architecture-

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah.

Julia Bohlen:

In some ways as well.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah, that's what I was just about to say. I mean I feel like grabbing a bunch of different perspectives from all these things can definitely translate back to some inspiration for you. I'm sure that's happened.

Julia Bohlen:

Yes, absolutely.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah, definitely. What makes architecture and the discipline and the work that you've been doing so special to you personally?

Julia Bohlen:

I think especially as I've been able to focus some of my projects on places I'm familiar with and problems that I've observed through my own experiences, I think that has made it really meaningful and the ability to work towards solutions hopefully to somehow benefit this. And I think again, architecture as a whole and its ability to shape the world around us literally through thoughtful design and sustainable development and focus on communities that traditionally have been ignored. And so there's lots of ways that the profession itself can be used to really make a difference in the world.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. I mean I feel like architecture is an art that can be applied to the actual real world, right? You see all these amazing buildings and stuff like that, but no one ever really thinks about the people that put their minds to actually design it. And I think what we've been talking about a little bit, it's a different form of art, right? Most people think art is put it up in the museum, painting and all that stuff, which it is, but it can also be designing a building for affordable housing or something like that.

Julia Bohlen:

Yes. Yes, definitely. It's definitely something that can be very much experienced. And one of the things that always sticks with me too is how long architecture lasts, the buildings that we design and build will be here for probably far longer than our lifetime. So it's really important to think about that in the design as well.

Jason Meggyesy:

All right. Now, I'm about to hit you with some philosophical questions.

Julia Bohlen:

All right.

Jason Meggyesy:

Are you read?

Julia Bohlen:

We'll see. Yeah.

Jason Meggyesy:

All right. Senior year, what's next for you?

Julia Bohlen:

That is still being determined. I know that I am not applying to graduate school, so I will be looking for a job. Ideally I will probably go back to school in a couple years, but I would like to start out and get a little bit of experience after school first and just we'll see.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. Biggest lesson you've learned throughout your college experience.

Julia Bohlen:

I would just say take every opportunity that comes your way. I found it really beneficial to be super involved and really trying new things all the time. I remember I applied to study abroad the second week I was here as a freshman, which was crazy. And after I sat down and thought about it, I didn't end up going just because it wasn't going to work out. But really taking everything that you can, meeting as many people as you can, doing as many things as you can and gaining all this experience is really huge to the college experience I think.

Jason Meggyesy:

And any professors you'd like to shout out, mentors that you've had over the years?

Julia Bohlen:

There are definitely a few, especially within architecture. I would say both of my professors last year. So Regan Henry and Ben Herring were both super instrumental in shaping both the projects that I produced and then just my understanding of architecture and the impact that I hope to make with it. I'd also say J. Elliot is a staple within the architecture department. He is just so wonderful and has been both a professor and a friend throughout the years. So very instrumental in our experience as well.

Jason Meggyesy:

Got you. And then this last one, if you could define college in a few sentences, how would you describe it?

Julia Bohlen:

It's really an exciting time of change and growth and hopefully finding who you are as a person and the impact you hope to make within the world. It's certainly not easy. There are many days of tears and stress and all of that, but there's so much fun. And the people that you meet as a result, it's the coolest thing ever.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah. What's the longest amount of time you've ever spent in the studio?

Julia Bohlen:

Oh, there have been a few late nights.

Jason Meggyesy:

Yeah.

Julia Bohlen:

Usually, I try to go home and shower, eat breakfast or something at home. But yeah, we've had a few weekends of constant studio time.

Jason Meggyesy:

No, I've seen it. I've seen it for sure.

Julia Bohlen:

Yeah.

Jason Meggyesy:

I've seen it for sure. No, it's cool. All right, Julia. Well I appreciate you coming in spending some time with me. It was awesome to learn about you and all the cool things you got going on.

Julia Bohlen:

Thank you so much. Thank you for having me. It was really great to talk with you and share some of my experiences. So yeah.

Jason Meggyesy:

Most definitely. Julia Bohlen is a senior studying architecture and sustainability at Miami University. And thank you for listening to Major Insight. If you enjoyed this podcast, share with your friends or anyone interested in navigating college life. Many more episodes are now available wherever you get your podcasts.

SHOW NOTES:

Featured Majors:

• Architecture

• Sustainability

Featured Organizations or Internships:

• Botanical Society

• Chi Omega

Faculty Shout Outs:

Career Cluster:

Arts, Communication, Media and Design