Opportunities in the College of Arts and Science


The College of Arts and Science (CAS) is Miami’s largest academic division, housing more than 60 majors, 10 co-majors, and 50 minors. Program areas represented include humanities, languages, natural sciences, mathematics and statistics, and social sciences. When you've finished reviewing content on this page, head back to the main Family Orientation page to continue with the next section.

Speak with an Academic Advisor about Your Interests

If your student would like to speak with an academic advisor about your interest in a major, co-major, or minor in the College of Arts and Science, reach out to the CAS advising office at 513-529-3030 or casadvising@MiamiOH.edu. You may also review the frequently asked questions below.

College of Arts and Science Requirements Overview

All majors in the College of Arts and Science carry a set of degree requirements, which we call the “CAS Requirements.” The video below introduces those requirements.

College of Arts and Science Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is the difference between the Bachelor of Arts (AB) and Bachelor of Science (BS) degrees?

The primary difference between an AB and BS degree is that an AB degree requires more hours in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. A BS degree requires more hours in the major and related fields. Thus if your student is pursuing a BS degree, they will have less flexibility to explore courses outside of their major. If they are unsure about their degree choice, they should talk with their academic advisor.

Can my student use the same courses taken for Global Miami Plan to meet College of Arts & Science (CAS) divisional requirements?

If a course meets both a Global Miami Plan and CAS divisional requirement, your student may apply the course to both, unless otherwise noted.

Is there a pre-law major?

We do not offer a pre-law major. A student may pursue law school with any major. Check out our Pre-Law Program office at MiamiOH.edu/PreLaw or encourage your student to visit them in 159 Upham Hall.

Is there a pre-med major?

A student may pursue medical school with any major, but there are minimum requirements needed to apply to medical schools. Our Premedical Studies Co-Major, which must be paired with a primary major, will help your student meet many of those requirements, as well as prepare them to take the MCAT exam.

What is a co-major?

A co-major is not a standalone major; it must be added on to an existing primary major in one of the divisions at Miami. Because there is no specific degree designation for the co-major, your student cannot graduate with only a co-major.

If my student's primary major is in another academic division, and they want to complete a minor or co-major in the College of Arts & Science, do they have to complete all of the CAS divisional requirements?

No, students are not required to complete the CAS requirements (including language) if they are only completing a minor or co-major in CAS. Your student is only required to complete the CAS requirements if they have a major within the College of Arts & Science.

Does my student have to take the foreign language placement test?

Your student should take the placement test if they are planning to continue studying a language they already know. If your student intends to complete Spanish or French, they are required to take the placement test regardless of whether or not they’ve previously studied the language. The placement test score will indicate the class for which your student should register. The test does not award academic credit; therefore, it does not complete the foreign language requirement. The placement test can be taken at any time.

Can my student "get out of" taking a foreign language?

All students completing a major in the College of Arts & Science must complete the foreign language requirement. If your student has or suspects they have a disability that affects their language abilities, please contact the Miller Center for Student Disability Services to determine if they are eligible for any accommodations that may impact this requirement.