Art class

Why is a final transcript required if I've already been accepted?

Miami's offer of acceptance is based upon review of all prior coursework including grades from coursework in which you may be currently enrolled. All admission offers are conditional based on the expectation that students will maintain the academic and personal conduct standards upon which they were admitted and complete all the coursework that was in progress at the time of application. Miami reserves the right to rescind an admission offer if an individual’s circumstances warrant.

How do I transfer college credit, IB, and AP Scores?

First-year students

Check with your guidance counselor about Advanced Placement (AP) tests offered at your high school. Miami accepts AP scores ranging from 3 to 5 in a variety of subjects. If you passed a course taken through an accredited college or university while you were in high school, you may qualify for credit at Miami. You also may earn credit if you have taken the higher level subject examinations within the International Baccalaureate Program, depending on your test scores. In addition, students with College Credit Plus (CCP), should reference our Transferring Credit information.

While Miami does award AP credit for some scores*, this credit does not transfer from one institution to another. Each time you transfer, the College Board must send your credit to the new college/university. The fee for each transcript is $15. You can call the College Board at 888-225-5427 (toll-free) or mail your request to the following address:

AP Exams
P.O. Box 6671
Princeton, NJ 08541-6671

Include your full name; gender; birthdate; AP # or SSN #; year of the exam(s); name, city, and state of the college to receive your scores (Miami University, Oxford, OH); and the college code (Miami's CEEB code is 1463).

If more than four years have passed since you took the AP exam(s), you must mail your request (along with $25 per recipient). In addition to the information listed above, include your former name (if applicable), current mailing address, daytime phone number, name of the exam, and name of the high school you attended.

*For acceptable AP scores, see AP and IB Credit.

Transfer students

All accepted transfer students will receive an unofficial credit evaluation. About one week after you confirm your enrollment, the Office of the University Registrar will review your college transcripts and post your transfer credits to BannerWeb. Once complete, you will receive an email notification from the Office of the University Registrar.

To view these credits, please log in to myMiami, select "BannerWeb," then "Student Services and Financial Aid," then "Student Records," then "Academic Transcripts," and click the submit button. The courses for which you received credit are listed in the "Transfer Credit by Institution" section of the transcript.

Courses that did not transfer as equivalent Miami courses will appear on your record under the appropriate subject area with a sequential transfer number (i.e. ENGT01, BIOT02). An academic advisor can help you determine if a course syllabus needs to be submitted to the academic department for further review.

If you need advising assistance, please contact the appropriate academic advising office:
College of Arts and Science: 513-529-3031
College of Creative Arts: 513-529-1517
College of Education, Health and Society: 513-529-6317
College of Engineering and Computing: 513-529-0700
Farmer School of Business: 513-529-1712

For most international transfer students, assessment of previous coursework for possible Miami credit will occur during their first semester. Course descriptions and other supplemental information may be required for coursework completed outside the United States.

What opportunities and resources does Miami provide?

Miami offers resources for students including academic and career support, accommodations, and transitioning. The Contacts page lists the offices and centers available for students throughout their course of study.

What is Miami's commitment to diversity?

Miami's campuses consist of students, faculty, and staff from a variety of backgrounds and cultures. Miami is committed to providing equal opportunities for education and fostering an environment where all who learn, live, and work in the community embrace this diversity and promote mutual respect and positive engagement, which are integral parts of Miami's focus, goals, and mission.

Working out of the Office of the President, the Associate Vice President for Institutional Diversity and the Office of Equity and Equal Opportunity are charged with supporting Miami University's Diversity Statement, Values Statement, and Mission Statement and ensuring that each and every member of the Miami community has an opportunity to be involved and included in every aspect of the campus experience.

What transportation services are available?

A lot of students bring bikes. But since the town borders the campus, you can get around fine by walking. Or you can ride the BCRTA bus service, which runs regular routes on campus and in Oxford.

For answers about bringing a car to campus, see Parking Policies or call Parking and Transportation Services at 513-529-8535.

Footprint Tours provides charter bus service to the Cleveland/Akron/Lorain County area during breaks. Call 440-244-5100 to be placed on their mailing list. The Miami University Student Foundation (MUSF) arranges for charter buses to the Chicago area for fall break (October), Thanksgiving break, winter break, and spring break.
The Miami Metro Shuttle Service offers limited shuttle service to major airports for Thanksgiving break, winter break, and spring break. You can also contact the Airport Shuttle Service at 513-896-6605 for transportation to the Cincinnati or Dayton airport. Oxford Limousine Service provides transportation in and out of Oxford; call 800-891-0064 or 513-523-6840. For more information about these services and others providing transportation to and from campus, see Transportation or call the Office of Parent and Family Programs at 513-529-3436.

You can offer rides or find rides offered by other Miami students through posts to the ride board located in the lower level of the Shriver Center (near the ATM machines). You can also check the online Ride Board available through myMiami.

Certain private companies offer bus services to Miami students to regional cities. Miami does not have any relationship with these companies and does not endorse their use. All such travel is at the traveler's own risk, and Miami does not assume any responsibility or liability for such services.

What are costs for tuition, fees, housing, and meals at Miami?

For information on costs, see Tuition and Fees. Once you register for classes, you will receive a bill from the Office of the Bursar.

Is it too late to change my major?

No, not at all. Be aware that most majors in the College of Creative Arts (architecture, art education, art (studio), communication design, interior design, music, music composition, music education, music performance, and theatre) require an audition or portfolio review. Some beginning classes in these majors are open to all non-majors. The Farmer School of Business also has additional admission requirements.

For first-year students, when you come to orientation, all you have to do is attend the academic advising session for the new major.

For transfer students, if you chose a major on your application, you are admitted to the university in the academic division (or college) offering that major. (If no major was indicated, you are admitted into the College of Arts and Science as an undecided major.) If you are now prepared to choose a major, or you want to change your major, you should contact the appropriate division.

When will I find out where I'm living?

All first- and second-year full-time students are required to live in university housing, with the following exceptions: you are at least 21 years of age by the first day of class; you reside with a parent, legal guardian, spouse, or dependent child(ren); or you have matriculated full time for at least two years at another institution of higher education or a regional campus after graduating high school.

Please note, students who meet the previously mentioned criteria may request university housing at campusservices@MiamiOH.edu; however, Miami is not able to guarantee availability for these students. Should space not be available, students will be placed on a wait list. Students will be contacted as quickly as possible to inform them of Miami's ability to provide university housing.

Upon receipt of your confirmation deposit and signed Residence Hall and Meal Plan Contract, space will be reserved for you in university housing. You will get your housing assignment by email in early July (fall semester) or early January (spring semester), which will include information about your room and instructions for accessing your StarRez account. Using StarRez, you can review additional details, including information about your roommate and your meal plan.

What happens if I change my mind about attending Miami after I've submitted my confirmation deposit?

If you decide to cancel your enrollment after submitting the deposit, you must contact the Office of Admission at 513-529-2531 or admission@MiamiOH.edu.

I have a question that hasn't been answered here. Is there someone I can talk to?

You can contact The Office of Admission at 513-529-2531 or admission@MiamiOH.edu.