Frequently Asked Questions

Students and parents laughing together

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I see what courses are available?

Course offerings, as well as available spaces, can be viewed at Miami University cannot guarantee you a space in your desired course.

Are there any course restrictions?

Some courses are only open to specific majors at Miami University and are not able to be taken by non-degree students. Course restrictions and prerequisites can be found at by clicking on "show details" under the course name.

The course I'm interested in has a prerequisite, how can I take the course? 

If a course you are trying to register for requires a prerequisite course, you will need to contact the academic department before you can enroll in the course. 

What are the admission requirements for a non-degree seeking student?

Miami University can only grant admission to a student who has a minimum 2.0 GPA and is in good standing in all respects at all schools previously attended. Only students who have graduated from high school or completed their GED are eligible for non-degree admission.

How long will it take to receive an admission decision?

Once an application is complete, and we have received all admission materials, it may take 3-5 days to receive an admission decision. 

I'm in my first semester of courses, how can I submit a transcript if I don't have grades?

Students in their first term of college can submit a mid-term report (PDF 110 KB) showing their current grades. The mid-term report can be emailed to or uploaded to the application.

Can I live on campus?

In order to live in university housing, students must register for at least 9 credit hours and be an Oxford campus student. Students who wish to live on campus will need to submit the $330 housing deposit and complete the Housing and Meal Plan Contract.

I've decided that I want to pursue a degree at Miami University, do I need to reapply?

Yes. You would need to apply to Miami University as a transfer student in order to seek a degree. More information about the transfer process can be found at If you have questions about the transfer process, please contact the Office of International, Transfer and Strategic Enrollment at

I attend an institution outside of the United States. Can I apply as a non-degree seeking student to the Miami University Luxembourg campus?

In order to be eligible for admission to the Miami University Dolibois European Center in Luxembourg, students must be enrolled full-time at an institution in the United States. Students enrolled in institutions outside of the United States are not eligible.

How long can I attend Miami as a non-degree student? 

As a non-degree student, you are permitted to attend the University for one year. Should you decide to continue, you would need to reapply. Please contact the Office of International, Transfer and Strategic Enrollment Programs at 513-529-2531 or to discuss options. 

I'm a Miami University employee who would like to take classes, which application do I complete? 

If you are a Miami University employee and do not intend to pursue a degree, but would like to take courses as a non-degree student, please complete the unclassified application.