Academic Advising

Email Lead Departmental Advisor Dr. Helen Sheumaker.

Who is my advisor?

If you are a history major, your history faculty advisor is named on the “student” tab of your MyMiami page. This professor can help you choose courses and make general academic and career plans. Email him or her for an appointment, or check with the department secretary for office hours. To substitute or transfer history credit, or to add a history major or minor, see Lead Departmental Advisor (CDA) Dr. Helen Sheumaker. For questions about Miami Plan requirements or other requirements not related to history, contact the College of Arts and Science advising office.

Can I take an independent study?

HST 277, 377, 477 (1-5 credit hours, with a maximum of 10 for all independent studies) are available for independent reading and research under the guidance of a member of the history faculty. The student should have at least sophomore standing, the permission of the instructor, and must complete the Independent Studies registration form.

Will my Advanced Placement credit be accepted?

The History Department will accept AP scores of 3, 4 or 5 as follows:

  • U.S. History - HST 111 and HST 112 (6 credits)
  • European History - HST 122 (3 credits)
  • World History - HST 197 and HST 198 (6 credits)

Can I double major?

Yes; common double majors are Political Science, Diplomacy and Foreign Affairs, International Studies, and English. Double majoring is easiest when your second major is in one of the social sciences or humanities. If you choose a second major in the natural sciences, education, or business, you might be required to complete hours beyond the minimum of 128. Completion of majors in History and departments in other divisions of the university would require fulfillment of all the requirements of both degrees. Questions about the double major should be directed to the CDA. Double majors must make certain that the Registrar credits them with both majors at the time of graduation.

Can I take courses for graduate credit?

A senior at Miami University who has completed at least 112 semester credit hours toward his/her baccalaureate degree and has earned a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 and an average of 3.00 in the field in which he/she wishes to take courses for graduate credit may apply for permission to do so. Approval must be granted by the course instructor, the student's undergraduate adviser, and the Graduate School. Credit from graduate courses will not count toward the baccalaureate degree. Up to 10 hours of such work, however, may be counted toward a graduate degree. Application forms are available in the Graduate School office.

What if I’m interested in the Master’s program?

Qualified undergraduate students may apply to a combined B.A./M.A. program in history. Sophomore history majors who have completed at least 15 hours of history courses (excluding Advanced Placement credits) with a grade point average in those courses of 3.75 or above may file a preliminary indication of interest with the Director of Graduate Studies. The Graduate Record Examination general test should be taken in the fall of the junior year. Formal application to the program must be made by February 1 of the junior year. Students admitted to the B.A./M.A. program will normally meet the following criteria: grade point average of 3.5 or higher, with a GPA of 3.7 or higher in the History major; completion by the beginning of the fall semester of their senior year of 116 undergraduate credit hours or their equivalent; GRE scores in the verbal section of the test of above 500, and in the analytical writing section of 4.5 or above. Students in the combined B.A./M.A. program may apply for assistantships for their fifth year of study, that is, after they have completed the B.A.

Registration Tips

  • Your capstone cannot be taken outside the history department and must be taken during your senior year.
  • History courses can be taken in any order you wish, but we recommend taking HST 206 as soon as possible after declaring your major.
  • If history is your “second major,” you will not be able to register early for majors-only courses (HST 206 and history capstones). Contact the instructor as soon as possible to request a force-add.
  • Instructors control force-adds for their own classes, and the department will generally not force-add without the instructor's permission. The only exception is that the department manages enrollment for HST 206.
  • Second majors and minors satisfy the thematic sequence requirement. If you do not have a second major or minor, you can sign up for a thematic sequence by contacting the department or program where the sequence is housed and asking for the sequence coordinator.
  • Some history courses that fulfill the Geographical Diversity and Pre-Modern requirements are not properly coded as such by your DAR. If this happens, see the Lead Departmental Advisor.