Passport Services

NOTICE: Passport & Photo Services in MacMillan Hall are available by appointment only.

Services are available to anyone needing to apply for a new passport book/card or those who need to apply for their first adult passport/card. You do not need to be affiliated with Miami University.

Please visit to track your application or for the status of other agencies and centers.

Take advantage of Miami's convenient location for U.S. Passport Application services on the Oxford campus in 214 MacMillan Hall, 531 E. Spring Street.

Services are available by appointment only. You can apply for:

  • New U.S. passport books and/or card
  • Passport renewals for those who were under 16 at issuance of previous passport and/or card
  • U.S. passport book and/or card for a minor
  • U.S. passport book and/or card for those who have lost their passport or had their passport stolen

Once your application has been executed by one of our U.S. Passport Acceptance Agents, we will mail your completed, executed passport application to the Passport Services section of the U.S. Department of State for an issuance determination. Only Passport Services can make that determination; the Passport Acceptance Office cannot.

Please note: we do not process or mail in applications for a standard adult U.S. passport that
needs to be renewed, but we can provide photo services and assist you in reviewing your application before you mail it in.

Where can I get a passport photo taken?

Passport photo services are available by appointment only for a fee of $10.00 for hard copy requests and $5.00 for electronic requests. We can take visa photos for many different countries.

Photos are also available off campus at:
5720 College Corner Pike, Oxford
123 West Spring Street, Oxford
200 South Locust Street, Oxford

Application Requirements

1. DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport

Application forms are available at our office in MacMillan Hall. Printable PDFs are also available online.

You may also choose to fill out your application online and print following the Form Filler directions below.

Launch Form Filler

Please note:

  • The Form Filler will select the correct form for you based on the information you input. It may generate a different form from what you expect.
  • Do not sign the application until instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.
  • You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).
    • If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a signed and dated statement that includes the phrase, "I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration."
    • For more information, please see the Travel.State.Gov Frequently Asked Questions.
  • You can apply for a passport book, a passport card, or both documents using Form DS-11.
  • You may request a larger passport book with 52 pages, at no additional cost, by selecting the 52 page box at the top of the DS-11.

2. Proof of U.S. citizenship

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s)' full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar's signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.

Please note you cannot submit digital evidence of U.S. citizenship such as a mobile or electronic birth certificate. You must submit physical evidence of U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the document.

Note: We will send your original documentation with your application. Your original documentation will be mailed back to you by the U.S. State Department.

3. Proof of Identity

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

  • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card
  • In-state, fully valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship 
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Other documents: 1) In-state, fully-valid learner's permit with photo, 2) In-state, fully-valid non- driver ID with photo, or 3) temporary driver's license with photo. Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these three documents.

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Photo Identification.

Please note:

  • Some states now issue digital ID documents (also known as mobile driver's licenses or mobile IDs). We cannot accept these digital IDs when you apply for your U.S. passport. You must continue to submit your physical, photo ID and a photocopy of the ID.  
  • If you present an out-of-state ID, you must present an additional ID.
  • If you are changing the sex marker in your U.S. passport, please see these additional requirements.

4. One passport photo (photo service available at MacMillan)

  • In color
  • 2 x 2 inches in size
  • Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
  • Full face, front view with a plain-white background
  • Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
  • Taken in normal street attire:
    • Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily
    • Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline
    • If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should NOT be worn for your picture
    • Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)

5. Passport fee payments

There are three different fee types: Passport Book, Passport Card, and Passport Card and Book together.

Execution fee—$35.00 payable to Miami University by check, money order, or credit card.

Passport Book Fee Payable to U.S. Department of State by personal check or money order. No counter checks.
$110.00 for ages 16 and older
$80.00 for ages 15 and younger

Passport Card Fee Payable to U.S. Department of State by personal check or money order. No counter checks.
$30.00 for ages 16 and older
$15.00 for ages 15 and younger

Passport Card and Passport Book Fee Payable to U.S. Department of State by personal check or money order. No counter checks.
$140.00 for ages 16 and older
$95.00 for ages 15 and younger

Additional Optional Fees

  • Expedited Service—$60.00 per application. Check/money order payable to U.S. Department of State.
  • 1—2 Day Express Mail Delivery—$30.00. Check/money order payable to Miami University.
  • (Effective January 25, 2021) 1—2 Day Return Delivery—$17.56. Check/money order payable to U.S. Department of State. Not valid for passport cards.

Visa Assistance

A. Briggs Visa and Passport Expeditor can assist Miami University students and faculty in getting visas for study and travel abroad. It can assist both U.S. students and international students as long as those international students are in the U.S. legally on an extended visa, such as a student visa. Miami University faculty and staff receive a 10% discount on service fees.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to get a passport?

Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, there is a backlog of over 1 million applications. The oldest submitted ones are being processed first.

As of 9/28/2020 expedited service is available again.

Current processing times are:

  • Routine Service: 10-12 weeks, door-to-door, from date of application.
  • Expedited Service: 4-6 weeks, door-to-door, from date of application.

If you recently submitted an application and will need it earlier than 10 to 12 weeks, you can contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) for assistance at (877) 487-2778.

Review the U.S. Department of State COVID 19 statement regarding passports

Check with the U.S. Passports and International Travel department to confirm processing times.

What should I do if I need to get a passport immediately?

Effective October 14, 2020, Passport Services is offering a limited number of appointments at their
public passport agencies and centers for customers with urgent travel. This is in addition to serving those with a life or death emergency.

  • Customers may schedule their appointment up to 2 weeks in advance, but they must be traveling within 3 business days on the date of their appointment or need a visa within 10 business days. Passport agencies will not be able to serve those who do not meet the above qualifications.

You should make an appointment to be seen at a Regional Passport Agency only if:

  • The U.S. passport is needed in less than 2 weeks for international travel
  • The U.S. passport is needed within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa

Contact the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment or locate a Passport Agency.

I already applied for a passport. How can I check the status?

Information required to check on status:

  • Last name as shown on the application
  • Date of birth
  • Last four digits of Social Security Number

Check on the status of your passport application:

Currently, it is taking 5–7 days for applications to be tracked online. It may take less time if you paid for Expedited Service and sent your application via Overnight Delivery.

What is a Passport Card?

The passport card is a wallet-sized card that can be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller and more convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea.

Why is there an execution fee for the passport book and passport card?

First time applicants, minors, and those seeking to replace a lost or stolen passport must appear in person before a person authorized by the Secretary of State to give oaths to verify their passport applications. In order to offer American citizens convenient locations to apply for a passport, the Department of State authorizes Passport Acceptance Agents to accept passport applications on its behalf.

The execution fee is to reimburse the acceptance facility for the cost of the service.

Applicants applying for both the passport book and card simultaneously pay only one execution fee.

I don't see the answer to my question. Where can I find the answer online?

For more information about passports, go to the U.S. Passports and International Travel site.