Outside the U.S.

If you are not able to return to the U.S. to continue your studies in person, you are encouraged to explore the option of taking online coursework through Miami University. Taking online courses can help you to continue making progress toward degree completion.

A listing of available online courses can be found on the Miami Course List. The fall semester schedule is expected to be updated in mid-July to reflect the modality for each course (in-person, online, or hybrid). It is a good idea to check the course list for updates prior to the start of the term. We recommend that you work with your academic advisor to make adjustments to your schedule.

At this time, U.S. government guidance indicates that a student’s SEVIS record (legal status) must be terminated if they are not able to return to campus when in-person courses resume. Students who choose to take online coursework from abroad will have their SEVIS record terminated, but that does not prevent them from taking online courses. ISSS will assist students with obtaining an I-20 or DS-2019 to return for the spring semester.

Students who wish to return for in-person study in the U.S. for Spring 2020 will need to complete several tasks and receive a new I-20 or DS-2019 from ISSS before returning to the U.S. Students should complete all required tasks for the return process by October and no later than November.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between online courses and hybrid courses?

Online courses are conducted completely remotely and do not have in-person meetings. Hybrid courses involve a blend of both online instruction and in-person meetings. Students enrolled in hybrid courses should seek guidance from their instructor on attendance requirements to see if there is flexibility to complete the course remotely from outside the U.S.

How do I register for online courses?

Detailed instructions about how to register for classes can be found on One Stop Registration. The best way to see courses availability is to review the Course List for the fall semester. You can filter course options by delivery type (including online or hybrid instruction) in the list. We also recommend that you speak with your academic advisor to determine which courses are appropriate for you to take.

If I take online courses from outside the U.S. will my professor consider the time difference and/or issues with internet accessibility?

It will be important for you to reach out to the professors of your online courses early if you believe time differences or internet accessibility will be an issue. Your professors will need to know your concerns in order to consider how best to support you. It is up to each professor to decide how to support students facing these challenges.

What should I do if the course I need is not offered online?

It will be important to work with your academic advisor to consider alternative courses that may meet your needs. Course offerings will vary by department and each student’s needs are different. An advisor can help you evaluate the possibilities for your situation.

If I am outside the U.S. how many online courses can I take?

Since your legal status will be terminated if you are outside the U.S., there are no requirements for how many online courses you must take. We recommend that you speak with your academic advisor to consider how the number of credit hours you take will impact your progress toward degree completion. You should also consider how course enrollment may impact any scholarship or sponsorship agreements you may have, and speak with the related offices.

Can I complete my last semester via online courses and graduate remotely?

It may be possible to complete your degree requirements remotely in your final semester. You may still take courses necessary for degree completion if you are outside the U.S. without active legal status. We recommend that you speak with your academic advisor to discuss course requirements and any other details you may need to be aware of for graduation.

If I take courses at a university in my home country, can I transfer the credits back to Miami?

You should review the One Stop web page about transferring credit before deciding to take courses from another university and transfer them to Miami. There are several guidelines for transfer credits, and courses taken in China will require additional documentation. It is a good idea to consult with your academic advisor about whether your plans to transfer credits to Miami will work.

What should I do if I am unable to take online courses?

Students who are unable to enroll in online coursework may take a temporary leave of absence (or gap) from their studies. ISSS will provide details about the process of notifying the university that you will not continue your studies for the fall. You will need to work with ISSS to request a new I-20 or DS-2019 before the start of the spring semester.

Will I need a new visa if my I-20 (legal status) is terminated?

If the visa stamp in your passport is expired, you will need to renew your visa before returning to the U.S. If the visa stamp in your passport has not expired by the date you intend to return to the U.S., you may be able to use it to re-enter the U.S. Guidance from some government offices indicates that students with terminated legal status who are outside the U.S. for five months or more must renew their visa after obtaining a new I-20. However, immigration officers at the port of entry into the U.S. typically allow students to use an unexpired visa to re-enter the U.S., regardless of the amount of time spent outside the U.S. with terminated legal status.

Remember, you will need a new I-20 to enter the U.S. and your unexpired visa is associated with the SEVIS number on the old I-20. The mismatch between the SEVIS numbers on your new I-20 and your old visa can sometimes cause the officer at the port of entry to ask questions.

What will happen to my scholarship if I take online courses outside the US or take a “gap” semester?

Since the One Stop handles billing and financial aid concerns, it is best to consult with a One Stop representative about the effect on your scholarships if you choose to take a leave of absence (gap) or take online courses. They will be able to provide the best guidance. You can email the One Stop at onestop@MiamiOH.edu or call 513-529-0001 to learn more.