Legal Status

This section will describe some of the basics about students’ legal status, as well as assist with any change of status or regain of status issues. Please remember that it is always important to discuss these issues with an advisor, and that this webpage is to serve as a helpful guideline to frequently asked questions.

ISSS is here to advise students on matters related to their F-1 or J-1 status. In certain circumstances, the ability of ISSS to appropriately and accurately advise may be limited. This is not a reflection of our desire to assist students, but simply a limit of our immigration expertise regarding matters related to a status outside of F-1 and J-1 or other extenuating situations. Students who are in these situations will be advised to obtain the services of an immigration attorney. Our office is not able to recommend a lawyer, but students can go to or to look for legal assistance.