Visa Renewal

If your F-1 or J-1 student visa will expire and you have plans to travel outside of the U.S., you must make plans to renew your visa.

Recommended Visa Renewal Documents

Valid Passport

Your passport must be valid at least six months into the future or more on the date that you plan to re-enter the U.S. If you need to renew your passport, you can do so in your home country or within the U.S. If you wish to renew your passport in the U.S., contact the consulate representing your home country in the U.S. for assistance.

Valid and accurate I-20 (F-1 Students) or DS-2019 (J-1 Students) signed for travel

Travel signatures are valid for 12 months or until the completion of your program, whichever comes first. See Traveling Outside the U.S. for instructions.

Financial documentation

Carry funding that matches the source and amount of funding listed on your I-20 or DS-2019. If your funding source has changed, notify ISSS and provide new documentation and your visa document will be updated.

SEVIS fee payment receipt

This is a required fee paid at the start of your SEVIS program. If your receipt notice is lost, visit SEVP and select the “Check Payment” option to print payment confirmation.

Academic Transcript and Proof of Enrollment

  • Request your official transcript (recommended) or print an unofficial transcript from BannerWeb as documentation of your student history.
  • Request proof of future enrollment from ISSS or certificate of enrollment to demonstrate you are a current student. To obtain certificate of enrollment from ISSS, request through InterLink. You must be enrolled for the term in which you are requesting to verify enrollment!

Visa applications forms

Review the U.S. embassy’s website for guidance on procedures. Visit the U.S. Department of State website for links to U.S. Embassies around the world.

Ties to home country

Consider what documentation or evidence you can provide of your ties to your home country (family, career, property, etc.) and your intent to return to home country after completion of studies

Visa Expiration & Travel to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean

If you will travel to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean and your visa is expired, review instructions on Automatic Visa Revalidation.

Visa Expiration & Travel to Another Country

If you will travel to a country outside the U.S. that is not your home country and your visa is expired, review more information on the difficulty of visa renewal in a “third” country.

Frequently Asked Questions

I don’t plan to travel outside the U.S. but my visa is expiring. What do I do?

You only need to renew an expired visa if you have plans to travel outside the U.S. It is okay for your visa to expire while you are in the U.S. provided that your I-20 or DS-2019 is still valid and you have not completed your program of study.

It is not possible to renew your U.S. visa from inside of the U.S.

I applied for my visa but the Embassy says it’s undergoing administrative processing. Can you help me to expedite it?

No, it is not possible to expedite security and background checks. Consequently, ISSS recommends applying for a visa as early as possible to allow sufficient time to receive the visa.

Do I have to pay the SEVIS fee again?

In general, no, a continuing student should not have to pay the fee again, unless you have lost your legal status and are in the process of regaining it.