Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


How can I apply to become a CCP student at Miami?

Miami’s admission criteria for the College Credit Plus program differ depending on whether you wish to enroll in CCP courses on the Regional campuses or on the Oxford campus. Please refer to the Regional CCP admission webpages or the Oxford CCP admission webpages for more information.

What happens when a student transfers into a new high school district after the March 30 deadline?

The district superintendent has the authority to allow students, on an individual basis, to participate in the program after March 30.   

If a student is a Miami CCP student, does the student still have to apply as an undergraduate student to attend Miami after graduating high school?

Yes. All CCP students must apply to Miami Undergraduate Admissions as a first-time student. Participating in Miami's CCP program does not guarantee admission into any degree program at Miami University.


What should CCP students expect when taking college courses?

  • Courses are faster paced. It’s important for students not only to review their classwork, but also to prepare for future lessons by completing assigned readings and staying on top of homework.
  • More study time is required. Students should expect to spend 2-3 hours per week, per credit hour enrolled, outside of the classroom to prepare for class, read textbooks/materials, review notes and group work, write assignments, and study for tests or exams, etc.
  • Proactivity is required. Students, not parents or counselors, are responsible for communicating with their professors via office hours and/or by email if they have any questions or concerns regarding their progress in class.

Which courses can CCP student take?

The Ohio Department of Higher Education requires that College Credit Plus students must complete 15 credit hours of courses that are on an approved list. Students should refer to the list provided for CCP students on the Regional campuses.

These courses are transferable to any Ohio public higher education institution. After completing the 15 credit hours, CCP students should confer with their academic advisor if they wish to take a course that is not on the list.

Can students take summer or winter term courses through the College Credit Plus program?

Yes. CCP courses are available in the fall and spring semesters as well as the summer and winter terms. The summer and winter sessions are shorter in terms of number of weeks and are offered at a more accelerated pace. Students should carefully consider whether the additional demands of accelerated delivery college courses are well suited to their aptitudes and needs. The first summer session begins in the middle of May and may conflict with high school students' coursework and exams being taken at the end of the year. Winter term occurs during the month of January, and dates vary from year to year.

Are there any course CCP students cannot take?

CCP students are not eligible to enroll in one-on-one private instruction courses, courses with fees that exceed the amount set by the Chancellor, study abroad or study away courses, physical education courses, remedial courses, or courses that are not taken for a grade.

How many college courses or college credits can a CCP student take each year? How are the credits calculated?

CCP students may take up to 30 college credits each academic year. To determine the number of credit hours a student can take in a year, the secondary school must calculate the number of course credits that are for high school credit only and multiply that by 3. That number is then subtracted from the 30 hours. The result is the maximum number of credit hours a student can take in the College Credit Plus program. (This calculation is based on a semester system.)

30 – (high school only credits x 3) = Maximum number of College Credit Plus credit hours

This calculation must be completed each year for a student, as the high school credits may change. Also, students may take a maximum of 120 credit hours in the CCP program.

If students would like to take more than the maximum number of credit hours, the student can arrange to register and pay for those additional credit hours as a “self-pay” student. Those hours would be outside of the College Credit Plus program.

What happens if a CCP student enrolls in a course that has adult themes and content?

Because they are college-level courses, some Miami courses (such as THE 191 and ART 121) will include adult content. CCP students and parents may wish to review the course descriptions in the Bulletin and, if they are concerned, reach out to their academic advisor to select a different course.

Academic Performance

Will Miami send final grades from courses taken to the high schools at the end of each semester?

Yes. By state law, Miami is required to send final grades for each student taught by a University faculty member to their high school at the end of each semester.

What happens if a student withdraws from a course?

Students who withdraw from a course after the withdrawal deadline (typically the 14th day after the college course began) may be responsible for reimbursing the school district for the tuition amount paid to the college for the student’s enrollment in that course. Students who withdraw from two or more courses in a semester or term may be placed on academic probation. Students who need to take a medical withdrawal should contact their school district for information about financial implications.

What happens if a student completes a course, and receives a failing grade?

If a student fails or withdraws from a course with an "F," an "F" will be recorded on the high school and college transcripts and the "F" will be computed into the high school and college GPA. If the student does not receive a passing grade, the district may, in some instances, seek reimbursement for the amount of state funds paid to the college on the student's behalf for that college course. The school district may withhold grades and credits received for high school courses taken until reimbursement has been made. Students in a non-public school who receive a failing grade in a class may be billed for the published cost of that class by the State of Ohio.

Who is responsible for intervention if a student fails a college course being taken for college credit?

Students participating in the College Credit Plus program, together with their parents, must be aware of, and understand, the social and academic consequences of participation. The home school district or University may (but are not required to) provide any necessary intervention with the student. CCP students who need additional academic support are encouraged to consult their academic advisor and to use academic support centers, such as the Rinella Learning Center or the Howe Center for Writing Excellence on the Oxford campus and the Tutoring & Learning Center on the Regional campuses.

Can a CCP student be put on academic probation or dismissal?

Yes. A student may be placed on academic probation when the student:

  • Earns lower than a cumulative 2.00 GPA in college courses, OR
  • Withdraws from two or more courses in the same semester or term.

When a student is on CCP probation, the student may enroll in no more than one college course and may not enroll in a college course in the same subject in which the student previously earned a D or F or received no credit.

A student is placed on CCP dismissal when the student has met the definition of CCP Probation for two consecutive college terms. Once a student is dismissed from the CCP program, the student may not enroll in college courses for the following college semester or term. After one college semester/term on dismissal, the student may request the secondary school to allow the student to participate in CCP. The secondary school shall determine whether the student may continue on dismissal, move to probation, or participate without restrictions per the school’s adopted policy.

What happens if a CCP student is suspended or expelled from high school?

A student must be enrolled in public high school in Ohio to participate in Miami’s CCP program. If a student is expelled from high school, he or she will not be eligible to participate in CCP at Miami.

Course Materials

Who owns the textbooks provided for the students?

The high school the student attends owns the textbooks.


What happens when a student transfers into a new high school district after the March 30 deadline?

The district superintendent has the authority to allow students, on an individual basis, to participate in the program after March 30.

How will CCP credits transfer to another institution?

Students should complete a preliminary transfer check on Transferology. Students will have to manually add the course instead of using the drop-down function for accurate results.

Check the Ohio Transfer Module (OTM) and Transfer Assurance Guide (TAG), which provide information on general education courses that students can take for transfer across Ohio Public Institutions.

Encourage the student to speak with a representative from the institution they plan to attend to ask how the course in question will transfer.

How do I transfer my credits to another institution?

If you plan to attend any Miami campus upon high school graduation, we will already have record of any Miami CCP courses you took on the Oxford or Regional campuses.

If you plan to attend a college or university other than Miami after high school graduation, you must order an official transcript for each institution to which you plan to apply. Go to the One Stop website for information on ordering transcripts.

Academic Programs and Majors

Will CCP credits eventually count toward a degree?

  1. CCP credits generally apply in one of three ways:Toward a major requirement,
  2. Toward a general education (e.g., Global Miami Plan) requirement, or
  3. Toward the total number of semester hours (free elective credit).

The best way to check how a course will transfer is by contacting the divisional advising office that houses the student’s degree of interest. Please use the links below to find more information about each academic division's advising office:

College of Arts and Science

College of Creative Arts

College of Education, Health, and Society

College of Engineering and Computing

Farmer School of Business

College of Liberal Arts and Applied Science (Regional Campuses)

Can a CCP student declare a major? What about majors that have selective admission?

Only students who have applied and been admitted to Miami University as matriculated students can declare a major. For some special majors, they must not only be admitted to Miami as a matriculated student, but must also apply for and be admitted to the department or division that house those majors. Majors that have special additional admission requirements include nursing, social work, special education, speech pathology and audiology, all licensure programs in the Department of Teacher Education, all programs in the Farmer School of Business, and most majors in the College of Creative Arts.

What happens if a CCP student earns enough credit and fulfills all requirements for an associate or bachelor’s degree?

A Miami University degree cannot be conferred until the student formally applies and is admitted to Miami University. To be eligible for admission to Miami, a student will need proof of a high school diploma or equivalent. Students who graduate from high school in May and have completed the requirements for an associate or bachelor’s degree at Miami may apply for and receive the Miami diploma in December. The application fee for graduation is $35.

Can a CCP student enroll in a graduate program or a combined undergraduate/graduate program?

Only students who have applied and been admitted to Miami University as matriculated students may apply for and be admitted into a graduate or combined undergraduate/graduate program.

Additional Support

Can a student who is enrolled in College Credit Plus program on a full-time basis participate in high school athletics?

Yes. As long as the student meets state and local scholastic requirements, the student may participate in high school athletics.

Are College Credit Plus program students eligible for financial aid?

No. Students participating in the program are not eligible for additional financial support.                  


What other support services are available to CCP students? 

Students enrolled in CCP have access to academic advising and student counseling. However, because they do not pay fees, they are not eligible to utilize the Recreational Sports Center.

What happens if a course requires a background check to be completed? 

Miami offers a few courses, such as education courses, that require students to complete a background check. CCP students in those courses may complete the background check at the Miami Police Department and have the cost placed on their Bursar account. The Bursar will cover the charge. Students who opt to have the background check conducted elsewhere will be obligated to cover the cost of the background check.