If you will not be able to live in your house or apartment for the entire duration of the lease (e.g. a semester of study abroad or internship in another state), you may have the option to find another student to "sublet" your room and take over the payments while you are away.

Subleases are very common in Oxford, but it's always a good idea to consult your lease and talk to your landlord or apartment manager to make sure it's okay and find out how the process works. 

Some landlords require that you remain on the lease, while others may remove you from the lease and start an entirely new lease with the individual that sublets your place. Some landlords may require the person that sublets your place to pay a security deposit, while others may not. Some will also charge a fee.