Free Expression

Miami supports creative, thoughtful, and respectful discourse where conflicting perspectives are vigorously debated and thoroughly discussed. Miami is dedicated to affording all members of the Miami community the protections for free speech, expression, assembly, religion, and press available under all applicable federal and state laws.

Time, Place, Manner Policies

How to File a Grievance

You may report an incident of disruption of constitutionally-protected speech in the following ways:

  • For emergency incidents, call Miami University Police Department by dialing 911.
  • For non-emergency incidents, you may file a grievance complaint by contacting the Office of the Dean of Students at or 513-529-1877.

Still Have Questions?

If you have questions or need support, please feel free to contact the Office of the Dean of Students. We can answer questions, address concerns, assist with planning, and provide you with access to University policies and procedures. You can also access more information regarding free speech, expression, and the First Amendment visit Miami’s Freedom of Expression website.