Transition to College

Learning about the services and accommodations that are offered is an important step in selecting a college or university. This helps you determine the best fit for you. Student Disability Services (SDS) regularly meets with prospective students who are interested in learning more about the office and the services that we coordinate. Please contact us to set up an appointment at any time.

Many of the accommodations included in high school IEPs, 504 plans, and specialized learning plans are also accommodations that can be offered at the college level. We recommend submitting a copy of your most recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP) / Evaluation Team Report (ETR), 504, or learning plan as part of your documentation. However, there are some limitations to collegiate accommodations where, unlike high school, modifications cannot be made to the curriculum.

An important aspect of the transition to college is the development of self-advocacy skills. Students will need to self-disclose their disability to the SDS office, as services do not automatically transfer from high school. To receive services, students should begin by submitting an online application and documentation which meets current guidelines.

A Note on Student Privacy and FERPA

In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), SDS protects the privacy of student educational records who are engaging with us. Therefore, we cannot share student record information without a student's formal consent on file.

To further assist you in how a student can share access, please review step-by-step instructions at Share Access (Grant FERPA Privileges) | One Stop - Miami University.

If you have any questions regarding this process, contact One Stop at 513-529-0001 or