social work intern explaining something to someone

To apply to Miami, visit the Office of Admission.

Undergraduate Social Work Program Admission FAQ

Who is eligible to apply to the program?

Any student in good academic standing at Miami University (including first-year students, transfer students, and students at the main campus or regional campuses) are eligible for admission to the Undergraduate Social Work Program to earn a BSW (Baccalaureate in Social Work) degree.

Note: Students on academic probation or with a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 may not apply to the program.

You must be accepted or registered as a student at Miami University to apply to the BSW Program. To apply to Miami University, visit the Office of Admission.

How can I change my major to Social Work and be accepted into the BSW program?

  • To initiate the process, complete the online application requesting a change of major to Social Work.
  • Or come to the Family Science and Social Work office at 101A McGuffey Hall during business hours to submit a change of major form.

Note: Students with a double major must also complete this process to become a Social Work major.

What happens after I change my major?

Once you have changed your major to Social Work, you will receive a welcome email from the Director of the Undergraduate Social Work Program with a summary of your next steps.

You will need to do the following to ensure your full acceptance to the BSW Program:

  1. Read the BSW Student Policy, Rights, and Responsibilities Handbook
  2. Sign and return the verification form indicating your understanding and acceptance of information in the handbook, including your agreement to comply with the BSW program policies to remain in the program.
  3. Meet with the BSW Director or your BSW Advisor within one month of notification of acceptance to review your DAR and prepare your curriculum plan.
  4. Attend one of the BSW New Student Orientations at the beginning of the Fall term or Spring term to learn more about the program, to meet our faculty and students and to get your questions answered.

There are no other requirements to become a Social Work major, other than good standing at the University as a registered student, a transfer student or first-year student. However, to remain in the program, all students must adhere to University policies as well as the policies in our BSW Handbook pertaining to academic standards, student conduct and our Professional Code of Ethics in Social Work.

Once you have changed your major to Social Work, it is important that you complete the last few steps to ensure your full acceptance into the program and to help you to get off to a great start in Social Work.


Please contact our Undergraduate Program Director at any time with your questions or if you have difficulty accessing any of our information. We want to ensure all of our students have access to our materials and to our facilities.

Undergraduate Program Director: Dr. Angela Curl, or call 513-529-1717.

Thank you for considering Social Work. It’s a great career option with a diversity of opportunities and a growing job market in the US and abroad.