Majors, Minors, Thematic Sequences, and Capstones FAQ

How do I declare a major(s), minor(s), and thematic sequence in CAS?

To change or add a new major/minor/thematic sequence, contact the department which houses your new major/minor/thematic sequence.

What if I am changing my major from another division to the College of Arts and Science?

You should meet with a CAS divisional advisor during drop-in hours. Please contact the office to be added to the drop-in advising queue (513-529-3031).

Is there a pre-law major?

There is no one major for students considering law school. See the Sue J. Henry Center for Pre-Law Education website for more information regarding majors and preparing for law school admission.

Is there a pre-med major?

There is no one major for students considering medical school, but there are minimum requirements needed to apply to medical schools. We do offer a Premedical and Pre-Health Studies co-major that can be completed with any major at Miami. See the Mallory-Wilson Center for Healthcare Education web page for more information regarding majors and preparing for medical school admission.

How do I keep my options open if I don't know what I want to major in?

Ask your advisor for help. With careful advising, you can often construct a schedule that allows you to pursue multiple directions simultaneously. For example, you can usually take courses that meet the Miami Plan in any of the undergraduate divisions or majors.

How do I pick a major if I don't have any idea of what I want to do when I graduate?

You don't have to know what you want to do for a career before choosing a major. Make decisions about your major based on your interests and strengths, rather than on future predictions of what the job market will look like. What is "hot" as a job today may not be when you graduate.

What if I know what I want to do when I graduate, but I don't know which major will help me get there?

Your divisional advisor and advisors in Center for Career Exploration and Success can help you determine major(s) that might be best for you to consider.

How long can I remain in University Studies?

You should decide on a major by the end of the first semester sophomore year. However, some majors are more sequential (i.e., prerequisite driven) than others and may take longer to complete.

Do I need to be in the Farmer School of Business to declare a business minor?

You do not need to be accepted in to the FSB in order to declare a minor in business. However, many minors in business have limited enrollment and you should contact the department directly to find out when and how you can declare the minor. Also, courses within the minor will often require a prerequisite(s).

Can I take my thematic sequence courses out of order?

It depends on the sequence and whether the earlier courses are prerequisites for the later courses. You should contact the listed department for the sequence.

Do I have to take my thematic sequence outside of the College of Arts and Science?

As a College of Arts and Science student, you may select a thematic sequence in any academic division. However, you may not complete a thematic sequence in the same department as your major. If you have questions please talk with your advisor.

Do I need to declare a Miami Plan Capstone?

No, you do not need to declare a capstone.

How do I know which courses are Miami Plan Capstones?

To complete the Miami Plan capstone requirement, you must select a course that is specifically designated as a Miami Plan capstone course. These are identified in the course descriptions by the abbreviation MPC. Your major may already prescribe a MPC, if not please visit Liberal Education's website for the up-to-date list of capstones.