Federal grants for undergraduate and graduate students, awarded in exchange for specific future teaching service in designated high-need fields and low-income elementary and secondary schools. If a student does not complete the required teaching service, the grant becomes a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan that must be repaid.

The Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant awards up to $4,000 per year to students who serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students.

A TEACH Grant recipient must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which the TEACH Grant was received.

Students may be either an undergraduate or graduate enrolled full or part-time. Award amounts are proportionally reduced as enrollment level lessens.

For more information about the high-need fields and schools serving low-income students, eligibility requirements, grant conditions, and to obtain the service agreement, go to StudentAid.gov.

You can also see the TEACH Grant FAQs below. To receive a TEACH Grant, you must complete the FAFSA. It is not necessary to demonstrate financial need. If you were not originally offered the TEACH Grant but would like to be considered for the award, verify that you meet the requirements and request to be reviewed for eligibility by contacting the One Stop at OneStop@MiamiOH.edu. Please do not complete TEACH Grant requirements until you have been offered the TEACH Grant. You will not be considered for the award if you complete TEACH Grant requirements, but do not request to be reviewed.


Who is eligible for the TEACH Grant?

Eligible statuses include the following:

  • U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens (based on federally determined guidelines)
  • People enrolled as an undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, or graduate student in a postsecondary educational institution
  • Students must be enrolled in a TEACH grant eligible major:
    • Chinese Education
    • Early Childhood Education
    • Earth Science Education
    • Earth Science/Chemistry Education
    • Earth Science/Life Science Education
    • Earth Science/Physics Education
    • Elementary Mathematics Education
    • French Education
    • German Education
    • Integrated English Language Arts Education
    • Integrated Mathematics Education
    • Latin Education
    • Life Science Education
    • Life Science/Physics Education
    • Life Science/Chemistry Education
    • Middle Childhood Education
    • Mild/Moderate Intervention Specialist
    • Physical Science Education
    • Physical Science/Chemistry Education
    • Primary Education PK-5
    • Secondary Mathematics Education
    • Spanish Education
    • Special Education
  • Students who scored above the 75th percentile on a college admission test (ACT/SAT/GRE) or who maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25
  • Students who complete the required TEACH Grant Initial and Subsequent Counseling and a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve or Repay (Agreement).

What is a high-need field?

The following fields qualify as high-need:

  • Bilingual education and English language acquisition
  • Foreign language
  • Mathematics
  • Reading specialist
  • Science
  • Special education
  • Other identified teacher shortage areas at the time you begin teaching in that field. Teacher subject shortage areas are listed in the Department of Education’s Teacher Shortage Areas Nationwide Listing.

What is a low-income school district?

Schools serving low-income students include any elementary or secondary school that is listed in the Department of Education's Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory.

What is the annual amount of the scheduled award?

The award amount is subject to change based on federal sequestration. The annual statutory amount is as follows:

  • Full-time student (12+ credit hours): $4,000
  • Three-quarter-time student (9-11 credit hours): $3,000
  • Half-time student (6-8 credit hours): $2,000
  • Less-than-half-time student (5 or fewer credit hours): $1,000

Is the TEACH Grant renewable?

The TEACH Grant may be renewed if the following is completed each year:

How do I complete the TEACH Grant Initial and Subsequent Counseling and the Agreement to Serve or Repay (Agreement)?

Both can be completed at StudentAid.gov. You can sign the form using your FSA ID.

How do I complete TEACH Grant Exit Counseling?

As a TEACH Grant recipient, you are required to complete exit counseling. You may complete the exit counseling online at StudentAid.gov. The TEACH Grant exit counseling will explain the TEACH Grant Service Obligation and the terms and conditions that apply should your grant become a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan.

How does the Department of Education track my teaching service?

Within 120 days of completing or otherwise ceasing enrollment in your program of study, you must confirm to the U.S. Secretary of Education that either you are employed as a full-time teacher in accordance with the terms and conditions of the service agreement, or you are not yet employed as a full-time teacher but you intend to meet the terms and conditions of the service agreement. At the end of each year, if you are performing full-time teaching service in accordance with the service agreement, you must provide the Secretary with documentation of your teaching service on a Secretary-approved form that is certified by the chief administrative officer of the school in which you are teaching. The form must document that you are a highly qualified teacher, teaching in any of the designated high-need fields, in a designated low-income school.

What happens if I don't complete the required teaching service in accordance with the service agreement?

If you receive a TEACH Grant but do not complete the required teaching service as explained above, you will be required to repay the grants as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan, with interest charged from the date that each TEACH grant was disbursed. For more information, go to StudentAid.gov.