Qualified Dependents

A crowd of people at the Miami Veterans Memorial Tribute

If you are a qualified dependent of a veteran, you can apply to receive funds for tuition, housing, books and supplies. Be advised that spouses may use transferred benefits right away while children may only do so after the veteran has completed at least 10 years of military service.

A dependency relationship is defined by current IRS regulations. Once the Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) completed by the veteran has been approved by the Department of Defense, the qualified dependent may apply for benefits.

Qualified dependents may be eligible to attend Ohio’s public colleges and universities at in-state tuition rates in different ways. Visit the Military Members section of our Residency Application Instructions page to review the specific requirements by classification.

Visit our Veterans Benefits Checklist to ensure that you don’t miss any important steps or deadlines in applying for your benefits.